1973 Volkswagen Beetle Problems

AutoMechanic

Site Donor 2024
I am trying to get my Beetle running before the winter time and I am wanting to know if their is any problems I need to look for that are common. It has the 1600 engine in it. Currently it is no crank and no start so I am trying to diagnose that to be able to move it under my carport for the winter and drive it some as well. Also currently the headlights do not work but the rest of the lights do work. The previous owner told me that when they were driving it home that it starting smoking under the front where the hood is and wiring near the gas tank so I am not sure if that has something to do with it or not. I am unable to find any burnt or shorted wires anywhere. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

How are the fuses?

Something I've had issues with is the ground cable connection. Every so often, I have to remove the ground cable and clean the area where it connects to the body with a wire brush. Make sure the cable is good and making a good connection with the battery as well. When it's not making good connection with ground, the starter won't operate.

There are a number of things that could be going on. Be patient. Pick up the Bentley manual for your car. Check online for color wiring diagrams.

When you have a chance, post some pictures of the car. Old Beetles are great!

You should be able to smell any burnt wiring. Make sure your grounds are clean and secured in place properly.
Does it crank at all? Is the battery strong enough? VW wiring is not too complicated, but I am more familiar with the older cars.
I love V-Dubs. Good luck!

How are the fuses?

Something I've had issues with is the ground cable connection. Every so often, I have to remove the ground cable and clean the area where it connects to the body with a wire brush. Make sure the cable is good and making a good connection with the battery as well. When it's not making good connection with ground, the starter won't operate.

There are a number of things that could be going on. Be patient. Pick up the Bentley manual for your car. Check online for color wiring diagrams.

When you have a chance, post some pictures of the car. Old Beetles are great!
Here is you some pictures. I haven’t checked the ground since I got it which it appeared to be clean then. But I am sure it may have corroded over time which I will check when I get home. The fuses appear ok it has the old ceramic fuses in it.

Attachments

• 4C8243A4-115E-496A-8C95-3DFAF3932892.jpeg
    4C8243A4-115E-496A-8C95-3DFAF3932892.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 194
  • D756000B-A4C6-4F5E-BCF5-7DBD09AEFA17.jpeg
    D756000B-A4C6-4F5E-BCF5-7DBD09AEFA17.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 1C4DFD9C-07EB-4AE3-AD61-FC206124B0C2.jpeg
    1C4DFD9C-07EB-4AE3-AD61-FC206124B0C2.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 016881A4-63A0-4699-B47D-46C8160E2026.jpeg
    016881A4-63A0-4699-B47D-46C8160E2026.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
You should be able to smell any burnt wiring. Make sure your grounds are clean and secured in place properly.
Does it crank at all? Is the battery strong enough? VW wiring is not too complicated, but I am more familiar with the older cars.
I love V-Dubs. Good luck!
Yeah I haven’t smelt anything burning the previous owner suspected it did burn but I don’t see anything.

Nice car!

That's a 1971 Super Beetle, possibly 1972 if the steering wheel & speedometer have been changed out.

1973 and newer Super Beetles had the big dash, along with the larger curved windshield.

Super Beetles differed from regular Beetles because they have McPherson strut front suspension instead of torsion bars. The trunk has a good bit more room and spare tire lays flat. The shape of the hood and the vents under it give it away as a Super Beetle.

Try pulling the cable and have someone try to open it at same time. Might have to give a sharp rap at the latch.

Any idea what the toggle switch is for between speedo and radio?

Nice car!

That's a 1971 Super Beetle, possibly 1972 if the steering wheel & speedometer have been changed out.

1973 and newer Super Beetles had the big dash, along with the larger curved windshield.

Super Beetles differed from regular Beetles because they have McPherson strut front suspension instead of torsion bars. The trunk has a good bit more room and spare tire lays flat. The shape of the hood and the vents under it give it away as a Super Beetle.

Try pulling the cable and have someone try to open it at same time. Might have to give a sharp rap at the latch.

No I have no idea what that is for. According to the vin it is a 1973 and that’s what year it is in the system at the DMV as and the plates are 1973 as well so if it is earlier then that’s a surprise to me lol. And yes it is a super the spare sits flat. I tried having someone else open it when I held the part in the glovebox down. The part in the glovebox separated from the fiberglass inside of the glove box and it won’t do anything still even with some aggressive pulls.

Look at the fuses and the fuse box underneath under the hood, these use an old style ceramic fuse that tend to corrode on the ends. Have you checked for power to the ignition from the switch, power to the ignition switch or tried to jump the starter?
No I haven’t checked that. Is that pretty simple to do? I’ve never jumped a starter I’m told the ignition electrical part commonly fails.

See if the number on the tunnel (next to the battery under the back seat) matches the number on the car body (sticker in door jamb or plate in the trunk once you get it open). It may be a 71 body on a 73 chassis, at which point you have to register the chassis with the dmv.

Mine has never been attached in the glove box. I just have to give it a good yank for it to pop. Take it slow and easy. Those '71 - '72 Super Beetle trunk lids are hard to come by.

No I have no idea what that is for. According to the vin it is a 1973 and that’s what year it is in the system at the DMV as and the plates are 1973 as well so if it is earlier then that’s a surprise to me lol. And yes it is a super the spare sits flat. I tried having someone else open it when I held the part in the glovebox down. The part in the glovebox separated from the fiberglass inside of the glove box and it won’t do anything still even with some aggressive pulls.

See if the number on the tunnel (next to the battery under the back seat) matches the number on the car body (sticker in door jamb or plate in the trunk once you get it open). It may be a 71 body on a 73 chassis, at which point you have to register the chassis with the dmv.

Mine has never been attached in the glove box. I just have to give it a good yank for it to pop. Take it slow and easy. Those '71 - '72 Super Beetle trunk lids are hard to come by.
The plate last time I had it open on the front says 113. I haven’t checked around the battery. And the Vin is 113 I was told the third number is the model correct? And the latch it was attached just came apart but it is still functional it seems and seems to work properly. My automotive teacher in high school was the second owner of this car bought it in the 90s then he sold it to a student which I bought it from.

I'd think long and hard about some other way to open that latch before cutting anything. The hood on my BMW wouldn't open but my aftermarket repair guy knew how to open it so he could replace the cable.
Yeah I am hoping as that to be a last resort. It has an access panel in the bottom but where it’s a super the suspension is blocking it. It has had to be cut off before which is why there is different color paint around that part.

Nice car!

I found the picture of the plate under the hood I have.

Attachments

• 8028612D-45F7-416C-99A8-50C468CB0CC8.jpeg
    8028612D-45F7-416C-99A8-50C468CB0CC8.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 74
113 is interesting as that is the number for a regular Beetle. The VIN plate may have been changed at some point. Like I said, check the number on the transmission tunnel next to the battery.

No matter, this doesn't affect the running aspect. Check your fuses, check the ground cable and wire brush the connections. Try Trav's suggestions for checking power to and from switch and jumping the starter.

The electrical portion of the ignition switches can and do fail, but there are a number of things to check.

I found the picture of the plate under the hood I have.

Nice car!

113 is interesting as that is the number for a regular Beetle. The VIN plate may have been changed at some point. Like I said, check the number on the transmission tunnel next to the battery.

No matter, this doesn't affect the running aspect. Check your fuses, check the ground cable and wire brush the connections. Try Trav's suggestions for checking power to and from switch and jumping the starter.

The electrical portion of the ignition switches can and do fail, but there are a number of things to check.
Ok I will check that I was wondering why it showed up on JBugs as a standard when I put the number in. And thanks for your help on identifying that and pointing it out. I will definitely look at all of that I noticed when I looked at the fuse box last time at a glance all of the fuses are red and I noticed they sell red, white and blue so I am not sure if it has all the wrong fuses or not or if possibly all the ones it needs are red. I will definitely take Trav’s suggestions as well my dad had some beetles in his younger days so maybe he can help me with it as well for that part.

I can’t help much with the running part. But 73 will have big tail lights, 72 and older have smaller ones.

Have you checked on thesamba.com? That’s the best VW forum.

Back