1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 Conv: sold for $230K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrett Jackson auto auction tonight, a 1970 Chevy Chevelle 454 SS Convertible in Fathom Blue just sold for $230,000

What a BEAUTIFUL automobile!

Interesting to note, we saw a '69 hardtop today out in a small (very small) town around here. Luckily my wife snapped a photo of it as it cruised by us.

3 pix of the winning Chevelle, 1 pic of the '69 we saw today in Lynnville, TN.

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

69chevelle.jpg

Do you have any idea how rare an LS6 Convertible is? At that price it obviously isnt an LS4 or LS5.

PS that SS396 is a 1970 not a 1969.

Odd. Cell phone shows the Barrett Jackson pix sideways.

The guy on TV said something like only 4,000 or so units were made with the LS6 option and far fewer made with the LS6 and convertible combo. A rare vehicle indeed.

No matter how nice or how rare, $230k is crazy. I hate that Barret Jackson and all the rich yuppies got into the car hobby. Gone are the days of the average working man being able to afford a nice classic car. These guys just buy and sell and don't even drive them. I've still got my 1987 Buick Grand National that I bought brand new and it is still in top condition with 56k miles. I drive it, care for it and maybe it will finance my retirement one day. My 94 Corvette, which I also had since new, has 65k miles and is mint but not worth much at all - but one day it will be.

Originally Posted By: AntiMatic
The 365hp LS5 is actually more rare than the 450hp LS6. My 70 SS396 now has a 454 in it. Cant keep tires on it or gas in it...
I would imagine it is well worth it!!!

Having owned a 1970 Chevelle SS with the 454 LS6 that only ran 13.36 with headers, carb and tune, I can tell you that the car could not stop worth a [censored] and cornered even worse. Ran a 13.8 stock.

Burning off those old bias ply tires was easy, but you weren't going anywhere. And 11 mpg downhill with a tailwind!

Real looker though, still looks good.

Last edited:
This September 22-24, the Barrett-Jackson automobile auction will be open for bids in Las Vegas. I read this here: Classic cars and memorabilia come to Las Vegas in September. Eschewing the typical down-to-business marketplace atmosphere of most such sales, the festive celebration draws automobile fans like honey draws bees. Well, it's not really surprising because the cars that they are auctioning are really worth your money.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
01.gif
On all remarks. Especially regarding the ridiculous wheels on that nice Chevelle, and more money than brains.
28.gif

It is tubbed he probably races it. Skinnes up front for less weight and rolling resistance. Fat meat out back for traction.

RacerE7773? Do you race much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back