1969 Yamaha YL-1 2 stroke and 30 weight recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm disconnecting the oil injection system due to age.
I'm looking for a 2 stroke oil that protects best and if it smells ok would be a plus.

Also Yamaha spec 30 weight engine oil for the transmission.
Wet clutch so it may not like slippery oil,What would be best?

Originally Posted By: QuOk
I'm disconnecting the oil injection system due to age.
I'm looking for a 2 stroke oil that protects best and if it smells ok would be a plus.

Also Yamaha spec 30 weight engine oil for the transmission.
Wet clutch so it may not like slippery oil,What would be best?

Amsoil Interceptor,redline,KLOTZ or any full synthetic oil would be great to use.

in the trans you could go to walmart and grab some Rotella HDEO sae 30w would be great choice too..

You might want to stay away from TCW-III oils as they are designed for water cooled engines.

As mentioned above, Redline, Klotz, Amzoil and Castrol make great two stroke oils. Castrol makes a synthetic that I use regularly (TTS). BE AWARE that REDLINE RACING OIL will result in internal engine corrosion and carb corrosion. It has components that promote corrosion (during storage) and thereby eventual engine failure. REDLINE RACING OIL is not for casual use, Don't use it in your old bike. (Note: even Dave at Redline admits this)

Believe it or not, regular ATF is a very good two stroke transmission lubricant, as it is designed to work with wet clutches and gears. Many RD, RZ and motocross riders swear by it. I have used ATF in my various two strokes with great results. But I do change the trans oil often.

Looks like i'm going for KLOTZ for the engine,What ATF would equal 30 weight in the transmission?

Looks like i'm going for KLOTZ for the engine,What ATF would equal 30 weight in the transmission?

Type F ATF has been the standard for years, Dextron works fine too (recomended in my KTM racers handbook).

careful pulling the injector pump, some motors had bearings fed straight from the pump that can't be adequately drip fed with just premix

I decided to use QS HD 30 oil in the transmission.
Seems to work fine.

Ordered Klotz for the premix.

Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted By: wileyE

Type F ATF has been the standard for years, Dextron works fine too (recomended in my KTM racers handbook).

careful pulling the injector pump, some motors had bearings fed straight from the pump that can't be adequately drip fed with just premix

ATF is closer to a SAE20 oil. SAE 30 engine oil would be good, but synchronizer fluid (Amsoil MTF, RP Synchromax, Redline MTF) are in the SAE30 range but have more AW additives for gear protection.

synchronizer fluid should not be used with a wet clutch, best to use a motor oil if you want something thicker than atf.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back