1966 Mustang 200 auto with OD

As stated, 1966 Mustang 200 w/auto OD. Owner states button to put in OD. What kind of auto trans is this? Is it C4 with OD? Not familiar with Fords in general. Pretty sure making the deal to buy this. Need knowledge on this engine / trans / rear axle. Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

Could be an add on aftermarket overdrive unit like a gear vendors. They install between the trans and tailshaft. Driveshaft needs to be shortened about a foot. The Gear Vendors unit is stout and works well.
Owner says it's factory, so I don't think it's Gear Vendors OD unit.

My friend's father had a '66 Falcon with a small 6 cylinder and auto transmission ie pretty much the same power-train and weight as a '66 Mustang.

That thing was not over-powered by any means, nor did it run excessive revs at highway speed. I don't know why anyone would add an OD to that combination as it would be pretty gutless.

Are you sure they don't just mean a low ratio differential (maybe 2.80 or 3.00:1)?

I "think" I see what he's saying. Ford has large O dot where 2nd gear is. This is so trans starts in "2nd gear" for snow / ice lets trans shift 2-3. Where as when you put it in "D" small dot it lets trans shift 1-2-3. Right???

I "think" I see what he's saying. Ford has large O dot where 2nd gear is. This is so trans starts in "2nd gear" for snow / ice lets trans shift 2-3. Where as when you put it in "D" small dot it lets trans shift 1-2-3. Right???
See attached excerpt from the '66 Mustang onwer's manual. The 'button' on the shifter in an original is used to pull down out of Park or to push it up from neutral to Reverse or ultimately back to Park.

Attachments

• ExcerptFrom66MustangOM.JPG
    ExcerptFrom66MustangOM.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 32
I had a Ford with a straight six and an automatic transmission back in the day. It was a two speed auto. That powerhouse wouldn't pull the hat off your head.

No Ford automatics came with OD in 66. If it really has overdrive, it would most likely be with an AOD transmission from a 1993 or earlier car. It was a pretty popular swap back in the day.
I didn't know that an AOD's bell housing would mate up to an old 200 inline six. He probably has a C4 transmission and no overdrive.

Last edited:
I had a 66 Comet with that motor but mine had three on the tree. It was not the most powerful car but it worked very well. Had aftermarket ac and in Phoenix at the time with wife and kid it was great. Could change oil and filter without crawling under the car. Just lean over the drivers front fender.

Nice Car and pleasant to ride in, My Dad had one way back and one of the guys at work had one with a trick manifolds ,carb and headers . . I'll bet you will enjoy the car.

Sorry I don't know about those old automatics but I know those sixes had the intake manifold cast as part of the cylinder head. This may have been cheaper for Ford but it was a terrible design because the manifold would not flow adequately above 3k RPM. Back in the day I had a 1965 Mustang with the 200 six and 3-speed manual, great handling car and super reliable. The engine had mechanical lifters, I think factory builds had hydraulics so this engine may have been rebuilt. Not sure. I am sure it needed valve adjustments every 6k-8k miles which was inconvenient but not a big deal. It was pretty spirited for a six cyl. Still liked the Gremlin better LOL.

Back