1966 Allis Charmers B&S Snow Blower 4hp What Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 1966 4 hp briggs and have been using strait 30 pennzoil since 1973 should i use oil for small engines? Many say yes including pennzoil. Runs good but smokes a very little bit. I never need to add oil and change it one a year!
It starts good even with the 30w

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i have a 1966 4 hp briggs and have been using strait 30 pennzoil since 1973 should i use oil for small engines? Many say yes including pennzoil. Runs good but smokes a very little bit. I never need to add oil and change it one a year!
It starts good even with the 30w

What color is the smoke? White/blue or black?

I have a 1966 Gilson (Montgomery Wards) with a 7 hp briggs on it which also does not use any oil. A tag on the side states you should use a 5W20 oil. I have been running a 5W30 dino oil for years in MN without any problems.

So what is the issue ? What you are doing works fine. A little smoke from a 45 yr old B+S lets you know it running. Dont change a thing.

Originally Posted By: andyd
So what is the issue ? What you are doing works fine. A little smoke from a 45 yr old B+S lets you know it running. Dont change a thing.

I have to agree with the above.

Considering the age of the machine and the fact there's nothing wrong with it, why the sudden concern with what oil you're using?

Why would you even consider something different with that kind of success?????

I found the more hours the heavier oil you should run it takes up the extra clearance more so when air cooled.

Originally Posted By: bob4558
I found the more hours the heavier oil you should run it takes up the extra clearance more so when air cooled.

I find that anyone who has gotten 45+ years out of a well used and still serviceable air cooled engine probably knows what works.

the smoke is from oil...blue
It does smell really bad it gets into your clothes and even your hair feels like oil
It is not really bad its just the smell is not nice to have to deal with

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the smoke is from oil...blue
It does smell really bad it gets into your clothes and even your hair feels like oil
It is not really bad its just the smell is not nice to have to deal with

Bardahl No Smoke might help reduce engine smoking. I used it once many years ago on an old car and it actually did reduce the amount of smoke generated by the engine.

I just bought a gallon of Rotella T5 10w30 at Walmart for $12.47. I would give that a shot. Or maybe try the 15w40?

Last edited:
My old flathead Tecumseh powered blower says to use 5w30 below 30 degrees and straight 30 above. I have just been running Quaker State Ultimate Durability in mine for a while. Seems to like it. I tried 5W40 Rotella and it seems to just not have quiet as much power when warm. Seems to like a 30 weight syn when warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back