1960 Pontiac Bonneville TriPower Convertible, Frame-Off Restored & EXPENSIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing watching guys spend $100,000 on cars that were NEVER that popular or successful when new. There was a freakin' Edsel that went for $50K the other night...an Edsel. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think there are a fair number of guys buying these cars that have no idea about automotive heritage. They've just got too much money and get caught up in the B.J./Speed Channel/Internet hype of these auctions. Maybe this is an extension of the H.D./midlife crisis syndrome. Oh well, to each his own...

BTW: How long until we see a $35K Vega?

Funny when I look on ebay and see the kinds of 60's 70s cars I used to own...are there any (many) modern cars going to hold their own into the future ?

Shannow, that's the game. You pick when they are cheap, sell when they are back in demand. If you can do it there is money to be made. A 67 Shelby Mustang Hertz car just went for $214,000 in Florida. It was a lot cheaper in 67.

quote:

Originally posted by Mustang_Cougar:
It's amazing watching guys spend $100,000 on cars that were NEVER that popular or successful when new. There was a freakin' Edsel that went for $50K the other night...an Edsel. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think there are a fair number of guys buying these cars that have no idea about automotive heritage. They've just got too much money and get caught up in the B.J./Speed Channel/Internet hype of these auctions. Maybe this is an extension of the H.D./midlife crisis syndrome. Oh well, to each his own...

BTW: How long until we see a $35K Vega?

Look at the cars that are hot now and the people buying them. These were the guys that were young teens in the 60's and longed for these cars but no way could afford them.

They're all 50ish or older now and have enough money that $50K or $100K for a 60's muscle car they've dreamed about their whole lives is no big deal. They aren't buying cars, they're buying memories of their youth.

I still remember the first Mustang fastback I saw when I was a 9 or 10 yo kid. Unlike a lot of those guys though, I'm not willing to spend the $$ to buy it now even though I could afford it...

Paulo, if that car has mechanical secondaries, where's the mechanical linkage to the front carb? I only see the linkage between 2 and 3 on the driver's side. Can you help me out, here?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Ebay Item 120001110216 (if the link doesn't work, use the eBay item number)

The car is in amazing shape. What's more astounding is the price it's commanding this early in the auction: 7 days 20 hours remaining, $30,201.00
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

And to think this car only probably went for 3k back in the day.

Back in the 1970 i paid less then 5k for a fully loaded GTO.BTW i had no trouble at all with that GTO plus it had the coldest a/c i ever had.Wish i kept it.Went cross county in it without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back