1958 Volks manual trans-use synthetic trans fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It shifts hard so I put in new dino trans fluid and it is much better. Don't know how long the old fluid was in there. Can I change again to synthetic trans fluid to see if it improves more or would it hurt the old seals?

I would just stay with dino, as you said it improved thing quite a bit. If you still feel the need to do something else, change it again with dino in 1000 miles or so.

It turns out that the newest and best manual trans lubes are synthetic, so why no use the best, like Amsoil or Red Line.
It may or may not shift better. It is better for long term use.
Manual trannys chew up and shear dino oil.

What weight or spec is required??

Don't worry about mineral oil. Even a synthetic will shear quickly in a manual tranny.

The goal is to pick a weight that is thick enough to protect, and thin enough to shift.

Check your shift linkage, any slop will affect shifting. There is a bushing in the pan that supports the rod located an inch or so back from the front of the shift rod. The coupling under the rear seat can also have slop. I like the polyurethane replacements for the coupling.

Short shifter kits [a simple spacer under the shift stalk] used to be $3.95. Probably 10 times that now.
One of the best mods for a VW bug.
You didn't have to row the shifter like Charlton Heston as a galley slave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back