1957 sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the ad for the Russian Mosin-Nagant rifle for $14.95 with 20 rounds of ammo set to you in the mail with no fuss except for the 4% California sales tax.

Great nostalgia.

Aside from the total ripoff price for the Stanley belt sander! Converted into todays $$$ you'd have to be rich to own one.

Would be great to own for the 3,000 kit home!!

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Originally Posted By: Dale_Knight
Had a good laugh from this April 1957 Popular Science article about engine sludge, was Du Pont actually a snake oil company back in the day;

https://books.google.ca/books?id=UCEDAAA...dge&f=false

And you were searching "new oil dissolves sludge" ... It doesn't, unfortunatelly, or a short OCI would be a cure all.

Depends on the type sludge(low vs hi temp build up), totally different era... I've seen '50s stuff that was run on non-detergent oil(or just not changed) that 1960s detergent oil broke loose and left big chunks that clogged passages and/or pickup in pan...

Originally Posted By: Dale_Knight
Had a good laugh from this April 1957 Popular Science article about engine sludge, was Du Pont actually a snake oil company back in the day;

https://books.google.ca/books?id=UCEDAAA...dge&f=false

It doesn't read to me that Du Pont was a snake oil company, but an inventor of dispersants.

I recently bought a 1954 Dodge C1 pickup with the 241 ci V8. It has no oil filter. None. I'm going to buy a filter mount which holds a modern filter. I have to drop the pan and rear main bearing cap if I want to make the filtration full-flow.

Have a look at the article "Getting the most out of your 1957 car." They list some makes that are only known today by real car buffs, like Nash and Hudson. For Buick, "Clean or replace the new fuel strainer in the gas tank every 5000 miles."

And the "What's Coming in 1958 Cars" article speculates on what the new Edsel will look like!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Have a look at the article "Getting the most out of your 1957 car." They list some makes that are only known today by real car buffs, like Nash and Hudson.

Guess you never saw the movie Cars, with Doc Hudson??? Anyone with elementary school kids(and the kids) should recognize a Hudson...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I liked the ad for the Russian Mosin-Nagant rifle for $14.95 with 20 rounds of ammo set to you in the mail with no fuss except for the 4% California sales tax.

127 bucks in todays money. Not bad, but we used to get them for 80 to 99 bucks in the recent past. I have a bunch of old magazines with gun ads. Here is an add from a February 1958 American Rifleman. I cannot imagine being able to get my hands on something like this today via the mail.

fd0d783e-846e-44fc-bca4-3dc72863b4cb_zpsdave3yga.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back