1954 Plymouth Savoy rear diff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need gear oil recommendation for this car. Has anyone made the switch to synthetic in something this old. Currently has the old 90 weight stinky gear lube.

Anything would be better than the stuff that's in there, Redline and Amsoil are regarded as making excellent gear-oil alongside Schaeffers who are also very well respected.

Would't Wally World's 80-90 gear oil be good for the ole Dodge, seems like

Synthetic might be a bit of a shock to the old seals .

Last edited:
I put either NAPA or Mystik 80W90 in my '57 Belvedere. I can't remember for sure which I used, but it was GL4/GL5 rated.

BTW, you may want to ask a mod to move this to the ATF/Diff/Trans section.

Last edited:
I've been using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 lube in my Studebaker differentials with excellent results. I suspect that an 80W-90 GL 5 gear lube from Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol etc. will be far superior to what was originally used in 1954.

I own both a 1951 Plymouth Cambridge & a 1949 Dodge 3/4 ton pickup. Both have the OE flathead 6 engines & stock drivetrains and both are in great condition. I am a big believer in synthetics...in fact I use Mobil-1 in both engines. BUT, in the transmissions and rear differentials, I use any good non-synthetic. The three brands listed in the post immediately above this one would be plenty good. Mine both have 75W-90, either Castrol or Pennzoil in the rears. I've got some old SAE 50 Pennzoil motor oil in the Plymouth's transmission...probably not the best. Of the current available for the 3-speed, the GL4 or GL4/5 gear oil would likely be correct.

Hi,
I endorse wholly MolaKule's recommendation. Sulfur additive based older lubricants build up a residue that once removed certainly can cause seal seepage/leakage - this is typically attributed to a change to a synthetic lubricant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back