1938 Russian paratroopers jump from wings of plane

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024

1938 Russian paratroopers jump from wings of plane​

Paratroopers have it much better today!!!

I think at about seven seconds into the video, one can see the jumpmaster (or Soviet equivalent) with hand and arm signals telling the paratroopers to go- and shortly after he goes. Assuming each paratrooper is manually deploying their chute.

Neat footage.

Looks like a good way to land on top of someone else's parachute.

My BIL, a paratrooper in the Canadian Army in the late 1950s was badly injured when that happened to him. He couldn't get the guy off of his parachute and the two of them went down (fast) together. And a hard landing is not good for the knees.

I think the guy on top is supposed to walk over to the edge and jump off. But then again, I'm not a paratrooper.

Looks like a good way to land on top of someone else's parachute.

My BIL, a paratrooper in the Canadian Army in the late 1950s was badly injured when that happened to him. He couldn't get the guy off of his parachute and the two of them went down (fast) together. And a hard landing is not good for the knees.

I think the guy on top is supposed to walk over to the edge and jump off. But then again, I'm not a paratrooper.
Landing on top of another trooper's canopy steals their "air", and typically causes a collapse of the parachute. I am sure huge percentage of injuries in Soviet jumps in the late 1930s. Watching this and other like videos, I can see jumps into winds well over 14 knots, which equates to brutal landings for the paratroopers.

14 knots is about as fast of a wind speed a paratrooper can jump into and expect to land where projected, and about the line between a safe landing and a high-risk landing.

Don't forget the Antonov A-40 glider tank. The Soviets didn't shy away from trying out of the box stuff in the 30's.

I have a SVT40 that I think is one of the best rifles of WW2. So some Soviet experimental stuff was great.

Back