1936 Model A Ford With MC FL1-A Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this on a 1936 Model "A" at a cruise-in/car show yesterday. The filter's turned a bit, and I couldn't get my girl to understand exactly what I wanted to show, but, it's an FL1-A, alright!!
thumbsup2.gif

Pretty neat:
ModelAFord.jpg

I would like to see how it was plumbed into the oil system.

BTW, that is a 28-31 Model A, 31 was the last year they made them. Looks like a 30 or 31 but I can't be sure.

I think later engines had a fully pressurized oil system, complete with the filter.

Some of the later engines based on the Model A engine had fully pressurized oil systems and were built into the 1950s. Maybe something like that has been dropped into this car?

I'm not saying the Model A engine had a pressurized oil system with a filter. I'm saying follow on engines had these features.

Quote:
BTW, that is a 28-31 Model A, 31 was the last year they made them. Looks like a 30 or 31 but I can't be sure.

Said "1936" on the placard..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think later engines had a fully pressurized oil system, complete with the filter.

Some of the later engines based on the Model A engine had fully pressurized oil systems and were built into the 1950s. Maybe something like that has been dropped into this car?

I'm not saying the Model A engine had a pressurized oil system with a filter. I'm saying follow on engines had these features.

The same basic engine was used in 4 cylinder Fords until 1934. I believe that in 33 and 34 (erroneously called Model C engines) they did have full pressure oiling, but weren't plumbed for full flow oil filters.

If you have any info on later production of those engines I would be interested, the later ones I have seen were completely different.

Perhaps I was mistaken about the filter, as I looked a bit more. I was thinking of the German G28T, based on the Model A and B engines. I assumed filter when reading about the full pressure.

Probably no filter on that engine.

This could be a reworked anything, as I did a bit of research and there are some outfits that rework these engines to have a full pressure system, including an oil filter.

The G28T was full pressure, but I don't think it had an oil filter. At least not in its original form.

When I first saw that filter, my first thought was the Pinto engine in the Model A reproductions sold by Ford dealers in the late 1970's early 1980s.

Wow wouldn't it be nice to have an engine bay that uncluttered and simple today? Nice car. I didn't even know cars that early had oil filters? I'm betting javacontour is right, and it is a rebuild with a FP system worked into it.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Perhaps I was mistaken about the filter, as I looked a bit more. I was thinking of the German G28T, based on the Model A and B engines. I assumed filter when reading about the full pressure.

The G28T was full pressure, but I don't think it had an oil filter. At least not in its original form.

Thanks for the lead, I had never heard of the G28T.... neat life extension program for an old engine.
http://www.modelaengine.com/02.html

There aren't many modifications to an A/B engine that would surprise me. There were even SOHC and DOHC head conversions available IIRC, there was also an early OHV Olds V8 head that could be reasonably adopted to an A engine by a good machinist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back