1928 Travel Air 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a nice little fly-in/air show at the local airport today. I took a ride in a 1928 Travel Air 4000, powered by a 220 hp Continental. I'm still grinning ear to ear.

This guy here:
l.jpg

Ed

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i want to live longer so i would pass on that thing

Because it's an old plane? How do you think it got to be that old? ;-)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i want to live longer so i would pass on that thing

You and I define living very differently then...

Part of living is not passing up great opportunities like a ride in this magnificent machine.

Just driving subjects you to more risk than this kind of flying. So, you'll risk your life on the boring, mundane drudgery that our roads deliver, and pass up on flying? On adventure?

That's actually kind of sad....

Really neat that you got a ride in the aircraft.
There can't be many left flying, although a wood-winged rag and tube aircraft is a pretty reasonable restoration proposition.
The engine would be the biggest hurdle.
Travel Air was an unsustainable consortium of Walter Beech, Clyde Cessna and Lloyd Steamrman
Cessna's future plans included a single wing mounted on top of the fuselage, which resulted in the C-165 Airmaster while Beech was fine with the biplane design but thought it needed a cabin, so the Beech Model 17, or Staggerwing came to be. Stearman liked open cockpit biplanes and went on to design more of them, the most noted of which was the Stearman Model 75, better known as the PT-17 or Kaydet, most of which were built by Boeing, which by then owned Stearman.
Is this Travel Air soloed from the front cockpit or the rear one?

Cessna, Beech, and Stearman. There is a whole lot of aviation history in that one plane. I was unaware of Travel Air until this ride. The fellow taking reservations for the flights was referring to it as a Curtis-Wright CW-14, which of course was wrong for a 1928. He was probably thinking that was a more familiar name to the general public.

It was restored here: http://www.ptaeromuseum.com/home.html

It was flown from the rear. There were no controls or instruments in the front. These were sold as "recreational" planes and the front was a two (one and a half actually) person bench seat. I don't think dual controls were standard on this model.

Ed

I was born too late. Rather have lived in the golden era of aviation. As long as there was decent toothepaste back then.

Good job on seizing the once in a lifetime opportunity of a ride in that classic. Had to be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back