1911 barrel and spring plug discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Havent shot my Kimber Custom Tactical II in a while, but had an opportunity this weekend. Shot great, good groups, etc.

Took it apart for cleaning, and saw this discoloration. Not sure how well I cleaned and oiled it after last use. There was no surface rust or other issues when I opened it up from the case, this staining is the only thing.

Any thoughts on removal? Solvents, ballistol, mpro7 didnt help.

Thanks!

I would probably use a 0000 wool and oil/Break Free and blend it out....luckily both parts are hidden. Any other sign of it on any part of the frame or slide?

I have a Kimber Custom Classic from year two. Great pistol and still shoots as good as new but the finish/steel was never completely up to par IMO.

Last edited:
It could be that small amounts of burnt propellant got on the barrel and jammed up inside the bushing and sat there for a while leaving the stain, which is a like a very light corrosion.

Looks like the barrel has a slight taper so it snugs up inside the bushing for accuracy. Not like "loose as a goose" GI issue 1911, LOL.

Depending on the rounds, brand and powder in them, this can occur. Old GI rounds could do that. A while ago I still had 80 yr old rounds that had black powder instead of smokeless!

Some old primer chemistries where corrosive, so over time you could get corrosion in the form of stains.

If you don't like it, strip and clean each time and definitely clean out the inside of the bushing as well.

BTW, Kimbers are nice!

No steel wool....unless 0000 and even the scratchy. Spray with T9 Boeshield and let sit a bit. Then use white scotch brite pad. Should be a - ok after that. Then lube as usual.

Steel wool will scratch the barrel, so not a good option. Cleaning pad and pretty much any gun cleaner with some elbow grease should take it off. Bronze wool and a jag is great for cleaning lead from the inside of the barrel and I'm sure it would take this stain off in short order.

As someone mentioned, a polish like flitz, wenol, autosol, or simichrome would probably do it. Or something like never dull wadding polish.

Steel wool on stainless is a bad idea in general. Not because it scratches, but it can possibly embed small particles of carbon steel which can make any future corrosion worse. So use a synthetic or bronze as mentioned previously.

If you have none of this, good old household lemon juice and baking soda mixed into a slurry makes a polish. Works better on softer metals like brass, but you know it is gentle enough for the harder stainless also.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I don't think the barrel is stainless.

I know some kimbers are and some aren't, but the recoil plug is certainly stainless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Whatever you cleaned/oiled with it last, throw it away.

Im not sure I did... That's my issue.

I know that soaking in ballistol and MPro7 didnt help...

If it is carbon steel you could always get it matte blued. As long as you don't mind a two tone look. It would help a bit to protect it from further corrosion and probably mask what damage you got there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back