19 Elantra vs corolla vs civic vs 18 Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can get a crazy deal on left over 2018 Mazda 3 Grand Touring.

These cars still have a traditional automatic transmission. Great automatic transmission that's sooo smooth.

I have the 2017 Hyundai Elantra and it's a pretty good car. The interior is is decent, but utilitarian. I definitely like the style of the 2017-2018 compared to the 2019 model. That one seems a bit too much like a Ford Focus. I regularly average around 40mpg. The 6 speed automatic is pretty good without much hunting for gears.

L8R,
Matt

30132483-D38E-4EE5-A7E7-AE2CA3F13F33.jpeg

I'd suggest the Civic. My dad has a '17 with the 2.0 and he loves it after worried he'd be downgrading. The engine is smooth as a 4cyl can be, surprisingly peppy, and he gets over 40mpg on the highway regularly. The area where the car really shines though is the steering, ride, and handling; it's both comfortable and athletic, a real joy to drive. Also the CVT works very well with no stereotypical CVT quirks. Shop smart and you can get one for a competitive price with the others.

Originally Posted by strongt
Originally Posted by Mainia
The Elantra IS a direct Injected motor. They have been since 2014.

If you wait till 2020 they will have the dual injected per cylinder motor. They are in Asia right now ,and the US and Canada get them the next year.

2019 Elantra IS NOT a Direct Injected Motor in 2.0L Size. Only in Turbo version.

Just look at the Specs on their website: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/specifications.aspx

My 2018 Elantra GT 2.0 is a GDI engine.

My 16 Mazda 3 with 2.0 and auto gets amazing mpg. You can easily get the EPA rating on the highway no problem. Only downside is the crazy wind noise on highway but I heard the newer one is quieter. If you want the 3 get the hatch. The sedan doesn't have much cargo spaces.

Originally Posted by marine65
Originally Posted by strongt
Originally Posted by Mainia
The Elantra IS a direct Injected motor. They have been since 2014.

If you wait till 2020 they will have the dual injected per cylinder motor. They are in Asia right now ,and the US and Canada get them the next year.

2019 Elantra IS NOT a Direct Injected Motor in 2.0L Size. Only in Turbo version.

Just look at the Specs on their website: https://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/specifications.aspx

My 2018 Elantra GT 2.0 is a GDI engine.

He was asking about the 2019 model year. The 2019 model the 2.0 is not GDI.

A deer destroyed my ‘12 Mazda 3. I loved that car but when I went to replace it I went with a 6 instead. Mazda is making almost all the new 3s in Mexico and I won't pay that much for third world production. The 6 was made in Japan.

I owned a 07 Corolla with 178K trouble free miles. My wife has a 15 Corolla that has been flawless so far. I have no experience with the others except to say I would definitely favor a Honda maker over a Hyundai or Kia.

Generally speaking I think Toyota is still the best carmaker in the world, but they aren't really exciting.

It seems that with this many choices it will take some sitting in and test driving to come to the best car for you.

The Mazda is a nice car and the 2.0 SkyActiv is very fuel efficient. Having said that, the Mazda 6 would also be worth checking out. Both have the six speed auto.

They are all good choices. It will be up to which one fits you and your needs the best.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Base Mazda6 Sport even has 6 speed manual trans which is very rare in 2019.

My 2016 6 has the six speed stick. It was the one of only two one on the lot of a large dealer and had been there for months. It was literally the cheapest 6 on the lot and they were well motivated to move it along. That's a real benefit of buying manual transmissions: not only are they cheaper on the sticker but they are willing to go lower because so many of their browsers can't drive them.

Not sure if I can recommend any Hyundai right now.

The 2.0T engine on my 2013 Santa Fe blew at 59,200 miles. It ran 5w40 in summer months (hot northern NM summers) and 0w40 in winter months (cold CO mountain weather). Oil changed every 125-150 hours which puts it around 5000 miles.

Stupid me bought a new '18 leftover Elantra Value Edition to cover my transportation needs while the 2.0T is being replaced. It gets 42-44 mpg on the highway and is comfortable enough for me to do regular 400 mile trips. Put 3000 miles on it the first 29 days of ownership and dumped the 5w20 for 5w30 after a thousand miles. It has a 10/100k warranty so I don't care if it isn't as reliable as a Yoda or Civic. It has a non-CVT tranny which is very appealing and I'm pretty sure the 2.0 adkinson engine in it is MPI and not GDI.

I am happy with my Elantra Sport. Best bang for the buck and not bad on gas if you are just cruising.

Drive them all and get what you like. Any of them are likely to last a long time, so make sure you choose one that has no deal breakers as far as day to day living.

All of them are good choices. I would go with the Civic but I'm Honda biased. However, like I said, they are all good vehicles.

Originally Posted by wolf_06
A while ago I wanted to get rid of my 2011 cruze LS (piece of junk).

Now I'm looking for a reliable fuel efficient compact car, automatic, non-turbo, with maybe some nice rims, but steel wheels may be an option as well.

Civic is the most expensive of the bunch right now, elantra is the most affordable.

Please give me your inputs, thanks!

I have a 15 Mazda3, which is going to be very similar to the 18.

Mine is the I, with the smaller 2.0 engine and the 6 speed auto. I wanted the hatch, but I couldn't fine one for a decent price when I needed to buy, so I got the sedan.

The pros, IMO, are the handling and feel of the car. It drives nicely and feels very buttoned down on the road. The suspension isn't super fond of our garbage roads around here, but not much is. It can bounce a bit on broken pavement, but it's generally well composed. The performance is adequate, I don't drive like an idiot and at sane, legal speeds the car does just fine. It's not fast by any means, but unless you're into racing it should work fine. The transmission is very smooth, you can't even notice the shifts at all. MPG has been great, I've been averaging around 31 now that it's warmed up a bit, and my driving is mostly city. You can very easily top 40 on the interstate with the cruise control on. I actually like the 16 inch wheels on the I, the alloy wheels look nice, but the smaller wheels lead to a much cheaper tire, which is big up here where snow tires are virtually mandatory. Probably a better ride than the low pro 18s, too, although I didn't try one with those wheels. With snow tires it's done very well even in the severe winters where I live, but I don't know if that's an issue for you.

The downsides are that there is some wind noise at speeds, and the infotainment system gets really balky when it's very cold (below zero, mostly, which it is for months at a time here), constantly wanting to restart until the car warms up. Some of the fluids are proprietary stuff, such as the ATF (Mazda FZ) and coolant (Mazda FL22) which are not commonly available and expensive. Dealers will stock both, but the ATF in particular costs a fortune. It's supposedly a "lifetime" fluid, but given as every other manufacturer has backpedaled from that nonsense, I'm not inclined to believe Mazda has found the magical juice the rest couldn't. Aftermarket fluids do exist from Ravenol, but even then they're only slightly less than the Mazda factory stuff, and still more than typical ATF/coolant.

Spare keys are very expensive ($300 each!) but I don't know if that's a Mazda problem or just a modern car problem. This is the newest car I've ever owned and the first with keyless entry, so no real frame of reference there. The visibility is generally poor, but that I know is a modern car problem instead of a Mazda one.

All in all, I like it a lot, and I'd definitely recommend taking a serious look at a 3.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wolf_06
A while ago I wanted to get rid of my 2011 cruze LS (piece of junk).

Now I'm looking for a reliable fuel efficient compact car, automatic, non-turbo, with maybe some nice rims, but steel wheels may be an option as well.

Civic is the most expensive of the bunch right now, elantra is the most affordable.

Please give me your inputs, thanks!

The civic has Honda's problematic 1.5T. No way Id own that mess. Hyundai hasnt covered themselves in glory lately, either. I'd probably go Mazda 3, of the bunch you listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back