‘19 cx5 skyactive 2.5L with cylinder deactivation - ideal oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a ‘19 cx5 touring awd for my lady (and as our family car) a few weeks ago, and want to find the "best" oil for this application. Mazda only specs an api-SN 0w20 as suitable. Factory fill was changed with Mazda 0w20 synthetic with moly at about 2400 miles (to get break in metals out), and will be changing oil again at 5k, followed by 5k intervals thereafter.

Only caveat is that these engines (‘18-up) now have cylinder deactivation, and there have been some reports of rocker arms falling off the CD adjuster at high rpm's due to insufficient oil pressure. Apparently the problem is widespread enough that Mazda has issued a recall for a software update that supposedly helps better regulate oil pressure.

That being said, Mazda oil with moly is a bit on the pricey side ($7-8/qt at best), so I'd appreciate some recommendations based on the following:

- higher moly if possible
- perhaps on the thicker side of 0w20 and shear-resistant to keep oil pressure up

Car will see about 35k miles per year, and was originally planning 7.5k intervals until the potential rocker arm issue showed up. What do you guys recommend?

QSUD 0w20 will be the best bang for your buck, 6mo/5k oci, with 35k mi+ a year you'll be changing it 6-7 times per year. QSUD is a high moly oil that is generously priced and has a good reputation around here. PP 0w20 is also very good and readily available. I know of a Ford/Mazda dealership that uses bulk Motorcraft 0w20 as well, even in the Mazdas.
Wix makes a specific filter for Mazda Skyactiv applications, the 57002.

Last edited:
perhaps on the thicker side of 0w20 and shear-resistant to keep oil pressure up

That would be a xW30

Thicker may not be better, these cylinders shut down methods are sometimes very sensitive to viscosity. Mazda seems to have a unique oil, if you don't want to shell out the money, I would run Pennzoil Platinum Ultra.

This would meet all your criteria the best but comes at a cost. It says it is API rated SN but that would need to be investigated further.

ACEA Service Class A5 B5
API Service Class SN/SM/SL/SG/CF
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 0W20
Vis @ 100°C, CSt 9.1
Vis @ 40°C, CSt 48
Viscosity Index 172
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C 55@-35
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 9
HTHS Vis, CP @150°C, ASTM D4741 2.9

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-11804

Last edited:
As far as I know, this is the factory Mazda oil (and it's very good stuff):

ZEPRO 0W-20
With Advanced Molybdenum https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/zepro/0w-20 Cost varies on Amazon. There are two bottles that look similar but are not the same oil. It has to say Advanced Molybdenum.

EDIT: Since you're one of the first folks I know of with a Skyactive CD engine, please keep us updated about the vehicle. I'm a Mazda fan and have a 2018 Mazda3 Hatchback. The owner's manual probably has specific brand oil recommendations. My manual says Castrol. FWIW, Castrol Edge would be an equal consideration based on the UOAs (used oil analysis) I've observed here. We have some dealers here that sell multiple brands of car (Mazda and Hyundai) and have combined service shops. Call several of your local shops to see what they use for Mazdas.

Ray

Last edited:
Can't do better in a 0w20 than OEM Toyota or Mazda.
Cheaper over the Wamart counter go with QSUD 0w20 or 10w30.

Last edited:
The winter oil change is coming up in Nov. on 17' Rogue Sport. I've been debating oil choices. One oil that has really peaked my curiosity is Castrol GTX Magnetic 0w-20. From what I've read, it's a mix of Group 3 and some ester (group 5) w/excellent specs. (Personally chose this over the EDGE, Extended, etc. in the Castrol lineup.) HTHS 2.75 / Noack 11.8 / Viscosity Index 170 and Pour Point -51 according to Castrol PDS. $19.84 @ Walmart com. 5QT. Jug. May blend a qt. of their excellent 0w-40 for the summer months OC. (3:1) We will see how she runs on this Castrol shortly (second yr. into ownership and three OC's w/Eneos oil.

The engine was designed for 0w20 from the beginning so run it with no worries.

I had not heard of this rocker arm situation.

The CX-5 is a nice CUV, kind of a shame Mazda went the deactivation route and has to learn what works. In the GM world good syn oil on conservative OCIs and fingers crossed for the right parts mix and drive on is all one can do. Hopefully Mazda figures it out faster. Good luck.

For oil, Mazda, TGMO, QSUD all best choices.

QSUD 0w20 will be the best bang for your buck, 6mo/5k oci, with 35k mi+ a year you'll be changing it 6-7 times per year. QSUD is a high moly oil that is generously priced and has a good reputation around here. PP 0w20 is also very good and readily available. I know of a Ford/Mazda dealership that uses bulk Motorcraft 0w20 as well, even in the Mazdas.
Wix makes a specific filter for Mazda Skyactiv applications, the 57002.

Is QSUD one of the higher-moly formulations? Does it tend to do well with DI engines and hold its viscosity? Never used a QS product before...have always tended towards M1 but have rear that their 0w20 is one of the thinner 20wt's out there. Thanks!

That would be a xW30

Honestly would probably prefer a 0w30 but have to stick with 20wt until warranty is up. Hence looking for a thicker, high moly 0w20

Thicker may not be better, these cylinders shut down methods are sometimes very sensitive to viscosity. Mazda seems to have a unique oil, if you don't want to shell out the money, I would run Pennzoil Platinum Ultra.

I've always been a fan of PU and use the 5w30 in my cts-v wagon (at least until warranty is up - then switching to redline). PU 5w20 is super cheap on amazon but haven't seen a 0w20, which it seems Mazda requires.

This would meet all your criteria the best but comes at a cost. It says it is API rated SN but that would need to be investigated further

Redline is probably my favorite oil, but a bit pricey for this application (6-7 oil changes per year). Currently using RL 10w40 on my euro 635csi and plan to switch to RL 5w30 on the cts-v wagon once warranty is up later this year.

As far as I know, this is the factory Mazda oil (and it's very good stuff):

ZEPRO 0W-20
With Advanced Molybdenum https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/zepro/0w-20 Cost varies on Amazon. There are two bottles that look similar but are not the same oil. It has to say Advanced Molybdenum.

EDIT: Since you're one of the first folks I know of with a Skyactive CD engine, please keep us updated about the vehicle. I'm a Mazda fan and have a 2018 Mazda3 Hatchback. The owner's manual probably has specific brand oil recommendations. My manual says Castrol. FWIW, Castrol Edge would be an equal consideration based on the UOAs (used oil analysis) I've observed here. We have some dealers here that sell multiple brands of car (Mazda and Hyundai) and have combined service shops. Call several of your local shops to see what they use for Mazdas.

Good idea! I'll keep an eye out for that oil...

Have had the cx-5 about 3.5 weeks now and already has 3200 miles on it. Other than being slow (as expected with only 187hp), it drives quite well for a mini-suv and is returning 28-29 mpg combined. Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the seats...they're not horrible but I have a hard time getting comfortable in them.

The winter oil change is coming up in Nov. on 17' Rogue Sport. I've been debating oil choices. One oil that has really peaked my curiosity is Castrol GTX Magnetic 0w-20. From what I've read, it's a mix of Group 3 and some ester (group 5) w/excellent specs. (Personally chose this over the EDGE, Extended, etc. in the Castrol lineup.) HTHS 2.75 / Noack 11.8 / Viscosity Index 170 and Pour Point -51 according to Castrol PDS. $19.84 @ Walmart com. 5QT. Jug. May blend a qt. of their excellent 0w-40 for the summer months OC. (3:1) We will see how she runs on this Castrol shortly (second yr. into ownership and three OC's w/Eneos oil

Is GTX magnatec a full synthetic oil, or a blend?

The CX-5 is a nice CUV, kind of a shame Mazda went the deactivation route and has to learn what works. In the GM world good syn oil on conservative OCIs and fingers crossed for the right parts mix and drive on is all one can do. Hopefully Mazda figures it out faster. Good luck.

For oil, Mazda, TGMO, QSUD all best choices

Agreed! Tried like [censored] to find a well equipped pre-CD 2017 awd CX-5, but no luck within a reasonable distance. Our 2019 has been a great vehicle thus far...hopefully it continues to be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back