19 4Runner M1 0w40 11k oci

2019 Toyota 4Runner, 4.0. Oil was M1 0w40 with a fram orange can.

Typo on the mileage...it was an 11,000 mile run. Saw temps from -40 to 80 Fahrenheit. Lots and lots of idle time. Oil was replaced with M1 0w40 and a fram ultra

9118D50C-1B98-4DF6-A7D1-4D612DD9DE7A.png

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Great looking report. The can of orange delight is rated for 10,000 miles and you pushed it to 11,000 miles, are you going to cut that thing open?

If I'm not mistaken it's a cartridge filter on those motors so just pics should do it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Subie5w30
If I'm not mistaken it's a cartridge filter on those motors so just pics should do it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Doublehaul

Odd.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by Subie5w30
smile.gif

Odd.

Yeah for sure! I even had to go back and re-read the model year he posted lol but those motors for that model year are cartridge filters. I'm assuming the OP meant he's using the Fram Tough Guard CH10158 cartridge, but will wait for them to confirm.
smile.gif

I own a 19 4Runner and yes they are a cartridge- have been for at least 8 or 9 years, so I don't know what the "orange can" is about.

You are under new car warranty correct? Toyota specs that engine for 0W-20. 0W-40 might give you a problem if you have a warranty claim on the engine. New car oil change interval for the 2019 4Runner is 10k. You ran it to 11K? Something here doesn't make any sense. I also own a 2019 4Runner. I changed the oil and cartridge filter (first change) at 3,500 mi. 2nd change I used M1 EP 0W-20. Third change is coming up at 10k, dealer will do that one free (new vehicles get 2 free changes at 10k and 20k. How many miles are on your 2019 4Runner?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Hombre909
You are under new car warranty correct? Toyota specs that engine for 0W-20. 0W-40 might give you a problem if you have a warranty claim on the engine. JMHO

Or on the other hand I bet there isn't one statement in either the owner's manual nor the warranty booklet that says deviating from the recommended grade will void the warranty. In fact doesn't it say:

"An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions"

Owner just has to state they thought the loads were extreme.

When I own a new car under factory warranty, I stick to what the factory says the car should use. When it leaves new car warranty, I'll use whatever I like. I personally don't like to roll the dice with a new car under warranty by using oil the factory does not recommend. Thats how I do things, you are free to do whatever you like, whenever you like.

And likewise you are free to do as you wish, but there's no evidence that a different grade will void the new car warranty. We see that dragged out here a lot with no supporting evidence.

1st...yes this takes a cartridge filter. I used a fram tough guard...known as the orange can. It looked totally fine...uoa supports it

2nd...higher viscosity oil is allowed by Toyota and in fact recommended for my duty cycle.

3rd...OCI was stretched only to accommodate a busy schedule and shutdowns due to a pandemic. My dealer stated in writing there was enough saftey margin built into the oci to accommodate this...as their service facilities were shut down. I change my own oil however...but got it email form
wink.gif

Looked good to me...aluminum a little disconcerting...but I realized the vehicle is still new and breaking in. I'll call it good

Originally Posted by kschachn
"An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions"

Yep kschachn,that's exactly what is says verbatim. The 2020 Corolla owner's manual says that exact same thing too.
thumbsup2.gif

1. That engine can run anything, like most Toyota engines.
2. 0W20 is strictly CAFE driven, and helps Toyota bump up not so good MPG rating on that engine.
3. One thing is for sure, M 0W40 always retains KV100 very good, but TBN is always dropping too much. While in this vehicle TBN is OK< it is non-DI engine. In my Sienna M1 5W30 EP dropped to 2.2 (I think) after 10K. In my VW's M1 0W40 always struggled to keep TBN above 4 after 5k.

I assume you aren't 'taking advantage' of the free oil changes from Toyota. I'd say good call, as there are way too many stories of hacks stripping fasteners for the skidplates, and/or screwing up the filter canister housing on these vehicles. We took deliver of a new 4Runner at the end of last year (now at 650 miles). It will never see the dealership again if I can help it.

Signed, former master tech at a Toyota dealer, and various independent shops.

Last edited:
Looked good to me...aluminum a little disconcerting...but I realized the vehicle is still new and breaking in. I'll call it good

first of all, thanks for posting this. i've seen a LOT of 5th gen 4Runner owners talk about how the engine can never ever see anything other than 20wt oil, which I don't agree with since the manual is specific that the engine can, and probably should see heavier oil for more severe use (among lots of other evidence it can safely use higher viscosities without issue). So to have you share a 40wt report is very helpful. Personally I run 5W-30 in my '19 Off Road, and will hopefully have a UOA to share at some point later this summer.

secondly, you have nothing to worry about with that AL number, in fact it shouldn't have been marked. the entire report looks excellent. as a reference, here is a link to a series of 0W-20 reports posted by a member on the 4runner.org site, and it just so happens their latest report was also an 11,000 mile run:
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3403959-post168.html

the AL number is identical, and Blackstone even points out in the comments that the ppm is right in line with universal averages.

your iron is a bit above their universal average but honestly i've seen a number of UOA's for this truck that show ~2ppm FE per 1000 miles, or more. so i'd say you're good to go. wear metals on this engine seem to settle by 40k miles so yours may still be breaking in a little. doesn't look like the idling did a thing to hurt it.

if anything this report just goes to show that this engine will run on basically anything, happily. keep us updated!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 02SE
I assume you aren't 'taking advantage' of the free oil changes from Toyota. I'd say good call, as there are way too many stories of hacks stripping fasteners for the skidplates, and/or screwing up the filter canister housing on these vehicles. We took deliver of a new 4Runner at the end of last year (now at 650 miles). It will never see the dealership again if I can help it.

Signed, former master tech at a Toyota dealer, and various independent shops.

I'm currently outfitting mine with a slew of skidplates, all proper torqued down to 22lbs. I will be doing my own fluid changes from here on out. I have done everything minus the transfer case (long story), including coolant.

Back