187,000 Miles on Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pulled the cover off the head of my 01 PT Cruiser. It has been run on Mobil 1 5W-20 for most of its life until I switched to 0W-40 last year. With the 0W-40 it used significantly less oil.

To my pleasant surprise the head look clean as a whistle; no sludge anywhere. The cams are in excellent condition. By the way, I have always changed the oil and filter just once each year without regard to distance driven. I live in upstate NY so it gets very cold and very hot during the year.

Why would that be a surprise?

Originally Posted By: rfeir
Just pulled the cover off the head of my 01 PT Cruiser. It has been run on Mobil 1 5W-20 for most of its life until I switched to 0W-40 last year. With the 0W-40 it used significantly less oil.

To my pleasant surprise the head look clean as a whistle; no sludge anywhere. The cams are in excellent condition. By the way, I have always changed the oil and filter just once each year without regard to distance driven. I live in upstate NY so it gets very cold and very hot during the year.

Yeah, pics would be great. So why the jump from a 20 weight to a 40? How does it run on the 40 vs the 20?

What would you estimate the miles driven per year with your annual OCI?

I'm surprised you didn't try AFE 0w30 before jumping up to 40 weight?

Originally Posted By: pbm

I agree, it might have been worth a shot.

It gets cold in Upstate NY, I don't know about hot. But if you've only done 13 or 14 oil changes in 187,000 miles, that's impressive. I'm not surprised by less usage with a 40 as opposed to a 20.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I'd have actually tried a 5w20 HM. I think MaxLife and M1 both have that.

After rfeir's PT Cruiser once-a-year oil changes & 187,000 miles in NY weather, and hearing about all the Mobil 1 taxi testing, etc., is there any doubt left that a good synthetic like Mobil 1 does the job better than a conventional would have for once a year oil changes?

One oil change per year should be the norm. I've always thought miles don't matter, its the time. Mitigating circumstances would be
1. Not letting the engine warm up (short trips)
2. Dusty environment since u cannot stop specks entering the air cleaner.
In those cases change every 6 months. Forget miles unless you're doing more than 30,000 miles per year.

Originally Posted By: rfeir

Chrysler said to use a 5w-30. I guess this is another case where a 5w-20 can be used easily instead, like the original Mobil syn circa 1978 5w-20.

My Saturn in the signature has had Mobil 1 5W30 almost all of its life (bought it new) and under the oil fill hole it looks like the day it came off of the assembly line. I change more often than you, usually about 5-6000 miles. Always felt Mobil 1 did a very good job of keeping engines clean.

Pictures, or it didn't happen
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
I can't help the OP out with pics, but here are mine of the oil fill hole.
peeectures

And you use 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Nothing wrong with M1. Of course try to stay that clean with short trips only; not gonna happen.

Originally Posted By: stickybuns
Of course try to stay that clean with short trips only; not gonna happen.

Short trips with what OCI?

peeectures

And you use 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Nothing wrong with M1. Of course try to stay that clean with short trips only; not gonna happen.

Yes, my trips are under 5 miles...ranging from 0.9 - around 5 miles. So shorter OCI are a must for me, and I keep hearing people say its ok to go a year...no thanks.

peeectures

These pics are from the Focus. This is our town car with 75% local and 25% hyw.It takes 9-11 months to get 10K. Yes, M1 oils produce clean engines,and since I only use M1 I have never had an engine get dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back