185/60/15 for yaris sedan- suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bitoggers,
still on original factory tires at 32k miles.
with predictions of heavy winter, what would be good/safe to use in the chicago area.
driving is half/half highway/city(potholes included).
want to change all 4.
live to an apartment now, so need one set so no winter/snows...

Thank you and happy and safe motoring

If you really want the best tire for "heavy winter" that you can run all year, look at Nokian WR G3.

If that's too winter-biased for you, then maybe General Altimax RT43.

Hankook Optimo H727

P 185 /60 R15 84T SL BSW

$85.00 each

25 off for a set of 4 and a $50 dollar Mail-in-Rebate
100,000 miles warranty

at discount tire direct, I just ordered these for my sister's 98 corolla, 197 shipped home after Mail-in-Rebate, thats CHEAP for some really good tires (from reviews and BITOG members here)

I use that size; if you can find Cooper CS4, they are a pretty good tire. I have a tough time indicating snow performance other than "I've never been stuck"

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I use that size; if you can find Cooper CS4, they are a pretty good tire. I have a tough time indicating snow performance other than "I've never been stuck"

Since your Echo is pretty similar, do you know anything else about the Cooper's CS3/CS5?
it seems they kind of retired the CS4's.... can't find them on many sites anymore...
(Had them on the Elantra. pretty good at 200miles in 2-4 inches new snow. just super noisy...)

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you really want the best tire for "heavy winter" that you can run all year, look at Nokian WR G3.

If that's too winter-biased for you, then maybe General Altimax RT43.

crazy noobie question: on tirerack rt43 T-rated are 2 bucks less than H-rated and V-rated.
what this makes/means for my car (car never saw more than 85mph during it's life....)?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Hankook Optimo H727

P 185 /60 R15 84T SL BSW

$85.00 each

100,000 miles warranty

at discount tire direct, I just ordered these for my sister's 98 corolla, 197 shipped home after Mail-in-Rebate, thats CHEAP for some really good tires (from reviews and BITOG members here)

Thanks, i'll look at that and the reviews....

Originally Posted By: pandus13
crazy noobie question: on tirerack rt43 T-rated are 2 bucks less than H-rated and V-rated.
what this makes/means for my car (car never saw more than 85mph during it's life....)?
Thanks

As the other poster noted, you need to pick the same speed rating (or higher) as is listed in your car's owner's manual or vehicle placard.

Generally though, the higher the speed rating, the better the tire's construction (especially going from T to H), and better steering response. But higher speed rated tires also typically don't last as long. That is probably why this Altimax carries a 75K mile treadlife warranty in T-rating, but only 65K mile treadlife warranty in H- and V-rating, if you care.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Generally though, the higher the speed rating, the better the tire's construction (especially going from T to H), and better steering response. But higher speed rated tires also typically don't last as long. That is probably why this Altimax carries a 75K mile treadlife warranty in T-rating, but only 65K mile treadlife warranty in H- and V-rating, if you care.

YEP!

I have CS4's on a 99 Saturn that are H rated/15". Ran new RT43's on 14" rims that are T rated during winter. The CS4's never had the snow traction of the RT43. I actually like the ride quality of the RT43 better than the CS4's. Steering response is light with the RT43 which I like for city driving. The H rated CS4's feel like they could be pushed more in a turn and have been great with heavy rain. Snow in my light car was a challenge with them.

If snow matters to you you may want a "mushy" tire as the tread blocks will throw snow. IOW a lower speed rating. They might also have softer rubber that doesn't burn off at high speeds. I'd read the reviews carefully.

My daughter had a 2010 Yaris (that we traded in for a 2013 Matrix).

For winter; 205/55/16 WRG2s on 16X7 wheels fit without rubbing.

For summer use, 205/50/17V Nitto on 17X7.5 wheels.

The 17s would touch the fenders at full crank or on big bumps, but added stability over the 16s.

Her new Matrix uses 215/55/17 Blizzak on 17X7.5 wheels for winter, no rubbing.

Summer, 225/45/18 on 18X8 inch wheels Michelin (Y) rated. Those rub at full crank.

I'm sure there is a pattern here.

I would like to be somewhere it snowed more than 4 days a year on average. But not having to buy snow tires is a plus.

My Rodeo when I bought it had some BFGoodrich snow tires on it.. they worked well when I did need them for a few days, had to take them off.. the summer heat here and snow tires aren't so good.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
For summer use, 205/50/17V Nitto on 17X7.5 wheels.

17s on a Yaris??? Just when I thought I've seen it all...

A few suggestions:

If you can afford them, get the Michelin Defender.

If not, any of these would serve you well:
Vredestein Quatrac 3
General Altimax RT43
Dunlop Signature II
Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max

The Quatrac 3 is an "all weather" tire like Nokian's WRG3, but at a lower price. The difference between these and regular all-season tires is that they have the mountain and snowflake icon which means they can be legally used as winter tires.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Hankook Optimo H727

P 185 /60 R15 84T SL BSW

$85.00 each

100,000 miles warranty

Are you sure about the $197 total?
85x4-25-50=265
Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back