'18 subaru Impreza 2.0 overfilled...any problems?

just got a certified '18 Impreza with @ 9800 miles; on several oil level checks in the last 2 weeks I noticed the oil was overfilled by the subaru dealer I got it from (@ 60 miles away); my best guess is 1/3 to 1/2 quart too much; I have about 325 miles since I got the vehicle...

I had my local valvoline instant oil change take a look and they urged me to leave it alone since it wasn't a quart or more over...

should I leave it alone or do a drain & reuse...up to the proper amount
(less than 500 miles total on the pre-sale oil change)?

id be happy if they put an extra bit of oil. kia dealers would overfill 3.5 quart rios to 5 quarts and they had no foaming or issues. besides 3.5 quarts is just little for a car engine. i dont like when engines take less than an even jug.

i am hoping they didn't overfill it to offset the 'oil consumption' that my research is uncovering with the new fa & fb engines...slightly looser tolerances & ultrathin synthetic oil to decrease internal friction & increase fuel economy 🙄

i hope that i didn't just finance a 6-7 year long headache...the side effects of burning oil are a cumulative effect nightmare to deal with! fouled spark plugs, destroyed catalytic converters, mucked up egr system, heavy valve deposits, clogged gdi port injectors...

Last edited:
just got a certified '18 Impreza with @ 9800 miles; on several oil level checks in the last 2 weeks I noticed the oil was overfilled by the subaru dealer I got it from (@ 60 miles away); my best guess is 1/3 to 1/2 quart too much; I have about 325 miles since I got the vehicle...

I had my local valvoline instant oil change take a look and they urged me to leave it alone since it wasn't a quart or more over...

should I leave it alone or do a drain & reuse...up to the proper amount
(less than 500 miles total on the pre-sale oil change)?
It's fine. If you've ever had an oil pan off the bottom of a modern engine, you'll see a piece of sheet metal bolted underneath all the important engine internals that acts as a baffle between the guts of the motor and the sump. This is to prevent windage from the engine internals churning up the oil, and on my fusion there was room for 2-3 quarts over before you got to the bottom of the baffle.

Back