18 hp vanguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an 18hp 8000w generator from my dad, he installed an lp wired in unit. It has only been run about 10 hours but it has been sitting 10 years. I tried to run it but noticed gas running out the carb. I cleaned the carb and jets, floats are good cleaned the needle seat as it was gunked and this was the problem. I noticed that when i took the carb off with the 2 intake runners attached, there was no gasket of any type between the aluminum runners and the cyl head. Should there be? Is it supposed to be aluminum to aluminum? I want to make sure before i put this back together. Also adding a fuel filter, surprised it does not have one.

Last edited:
Don't know for sure. Is there a ridge that and valley for the ridge on the head and intake? If so maybe that's the "sealing" they used. You could most likely buy gasket material and make your own or the easiest is to buy the gasket sealing material in a tube and apply it. between the surfaces. Kind of like you do with most rear differentials, but a product made for intake manifolds and exposure to gas..

Whimsey

If there is no trace of a gasket ever being installed.. I would be tempted to assemble the intake without it and test running it to see if it leaks.

I put gaskets on there. After cleaning out the carb it runs well. I used a small stylet that we throw away at work and it works great for cleaning small ports and jets in carbs.

Post the engine numbers and I'll send you an Illustrated Parts List and Service Manual.

That way you'll have the part numbers for the gaskets. Post your email address or PM it.

its a generac 10k/ 8000watt continuous generator. Briggs 18hp vanguard.

YBSXS.5702HV 274832

I think this is a 2002 generator, so the engine could be an 01 or 02.

Is this a decent engine?

Thanks Merk , i will pm you my email.

That doesn't look like Briggs & Stratton engine numbers. Maybe it's the model number of the generator manufacturer. The first number should be five or six digits and then two other series of numbers after that. The engine numbers will be three sets, with each set being the Model, Type, and Code.

model-locator-briggs-and-stratton.jpg

I found them. the numbers i gave were from the engine family air index sticker( emissions).

model 350445 type 1401-E1 code 02080911

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Check your email. Let me know if you need any other information on Briggs & Stratton.

Thanks a lot! Do you have experience with this engine, is it a good engine? I think i'm going to by a tach and make sure the rpm is at 3600 so i get 60hz.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Thanks a lot! Do you have experience with this engine, is it a good engine? I think i'm going to by a tach and make sure the rpm is at 3600 so i get 60hz.

I've never worked on that engine. All my experience is with Single Cylinder L-Head engines.

Those are Briggs top of the line commercial grade engines. It's already lasted 10+ years if that tells you anything.

Originally Posted By: slomo
Those are Briggs top of the line commercial grade engines. It's already lasted 10+ years if that tells you anything.

Good to know, mine has only about 10 hours on it.

You got any other Briggs & Stratton engines laying around the house?

I got every single IPL and every Service Manual.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

You got any other Briggs & Stratton engines laying around the house?

I got every single IPL and every Service Manual.

No, but thanks, that was very kind of you to send me that!! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back