18.9 mpg!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know most of you would sell a car if it got that low mpg. Today we had to see a doctor 150m away 1 way. I filled both of tanks on my f250 in my signature and jumped on the hwy. Set the cruise between 60 and 70 depending on the speed limit. Filled up when we got back into town. I think 18.9 mpg is fantastic for a 6500lb,square body 4x4 truck with no overdrive.

Pretty good for an old NA 3/4 ton diesel.
Any '87 gas truck would have been lucky to see 15 mpg under the same conditions.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
That's pretty good....I'm sure the distance travelled helped raise the mileage.

Also the fact that the truck didnt start out cold at 15F helps too.

That easily beats my 2x4 F150 with 300-6 and 2.73 gears.

Probably your truck'll do more, too.

Would you believe that I'd be lucky to get even 18mpg in my Tacoma? And the V8 Tundra owners of the same year would be lucky to see 16 LOL

Originally Posted By: Chris142
It seems that in town driving kills my mpg. I'm lucky to get 13 in town.

I have a scangage and I get 17 mpg between my workplace and the expressway... it's about 4 miles (city).When I get on the expressway it gradually increases to around 23 mpg until I get off after 35 miles of driving.

My Marauder doesn't even get 18! Ha. The way I drive and the traffic I sit in I'm lucky to get 16. I've seen close to 22 on the highway but that was only once, usually closer to 20. And that's with 3.27's instead of the factory 3.55's.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Yeah mine does 16 city 18hwy with the 5spd.

My BMW gets 18 mpg combined on regular, while the Lexus gets 21 combined using premium.

Neither are dailies. If they were, I wouldn't own them.

That's awesome in my book .
My Chevy 3/4 ton with the gas 6.0 has only eeked out 16 mpg at best on the hwy.
4L80E with 4.10 gears so there's that
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
That's awesome in my book .
My Chevy 3/4 ton with the gas 6.0 has only eeked out 16 mpg at best on the hwy.
4L80E with 4.10 gears so there's that
grin.gif

Same for my 2008 Chevy with the 6.0 6L90 with 3.73 gears.

Not bad at all! Weirdest thing I ever saw was on my stepson's 2000 F250 with the Powerstroke. The injection pressure sensor went bad and we disconnected it before about a 100 mile drive after filling it up. The console monitor showed nearly 37.5mpg and I was like no way... til we stopped and I filled the tank up to calculate mileage. It took just over 3 gallons and worked out to like 31.8mpg. The next day after replacing the sensor, mileage came back down to the 18-21mpg range like it usually gave.

The only thing I can figure is when the IPS goes bad, the system defaults to max pressure, so it must have improved atomization and burn, especially since it was light-throttle driving. Was cool even though it was a one-time fluke!

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Not bad at all! Weirdest thing I ever saw was on my stepson's 2000 F250 with the Powerstroke. The injection pressure sensor went bad and we disconnected it before about a 100 mile drive after filling it up. The console monitor showed nearly 37.5mpg and I was like no way... til we stopped and I filled the tank up to calculate mileage. It took just over 3 gallons and worked out to like 31.8mpg. The next day after replacing the sensor, mileage came back down to the 18-21mpg range like it usually gave.

The only thing I can figure is when the IPS goes bad, the system defaults to max pressure, so it must have improved atomization and burn, especially since it was light-throttle driving. Was cool even though it was a one-time fluke!
Diesel fuel is pretty foamy, and filling up from a not empty tank probably triggered the pump to kick off early.

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Yeah mine does 16 city 18hwy with the 5spd.

'88 300/6 is FI, isn't it? I avg. 17mpg winter, 18 summer with 305 TBI and 3.08 rear. 95% short trips of about 5 miles.

Funny how it's all relative what we are pleased with. I just got 22 and 21.9 on a couple 350 mile trips in my 4.0 Cherokee. it's not by a lot but they're the best I've ever gotten. For an old 4wd brick at interstate speed I can't complain.

One wonders if you will ever, ever learn...

California burns. The Eastern Seaboard freezes under ten foot of snow. Florida & The Gulf get battered by hurricanes of increasing ferocity and now we see record breaking 'bomb cyclones' that cause chaos to all the bits in the middle. It's already gotten worse and it's probably going to get MUCH worse.

The automotive tech is there to get you from A to B getting 60 miles per US gallon and yet you 'celebrate' getting 18.9 mpg. Bizarre!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back