175K Volvo Turbo, looking for best oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the topic suggests, my 2005 Volvo S60 R is quickly approaching 175,000 miles, and i'm looking for an oil to use for the remainder of its life. Its a 300hp AWD turbo. The previous owner had it serviced at the dealer for the first 150,000 miles every 7500 miles, using Castrol GTX. I switched it over to synthetic when I bought it at 150K, and have been using different oils every 3-4K. I would like to find the best choice of oil for it, and use it consistently.
Thanks for any help,
Anthony

Mobil 1 0w-40 would seem to be a default oil for this engine.

7500 mile OCI's for 150k miles on dino oil in a high-strung turbo engine might have left a few deposits behind. Good on you for shortening up the change intervals with different synthetics to clean it out.

I use M1 high-mileage 10w-30 synthetic in the sled. I noticed a bit higher oil consumption with 0w-30. I've also used Rotella T6 20W-50 with good results, due to the hot Texas weather.

If you search under my tag-name, I wrote up my experience re-thinking my oil choice.

Great car. 150K miles on plain ole GTX every 7500 miles is testament to dino's capabilites.

But I would also opt for either Edge or M1 in 0W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back