170 MPH without a license

Status
Not open for further replies.
NY State Police arrested a man driving a motorcycle at speeds of 150 to 170 miles per hour on the New York Thruway. 25-year-old Nikkolaus McCarthy of Charlton faces several charges, including Fleeing Police 3rd, Reckless Driving, Speeding, and Operating Out of Class, since he did not have a motorcycle license.

News 10 article

The problem is what do you do? Jail, amputation or sending them back out are the options (though obviously there is no care for the license). Two of the three cost money directly, which people dont want to pay for.

You forget the fleeing police so they aren't jailed. You give him the reckless, speeding and driving without license charges. That (at least in WI) would suspend his license for 12 months but also make his car insurance rates insane.... which shifts the burden for punishment to the private sector which will be all to happy to take his money anyway.

I'm within an hour of this fool and have driven that stretch of road many times.

Not having a license or insurance doesn't slow folks like this down at all, pun intended.

They'll get someone to register and insure a vehicle in another name and he'll be back on the road again in short order.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
You forget the fleeing police so they aren't jailed. You give him the reckless, speeding and driving without license charges. That (at least in WI) would suspend his license for 12 months but also make his car insurance rates insane.... which shifts the burden for punishment to the private sector which will be all to happy to take his money anyway.

So next time around they will catch this guy without a license and without insurance. What problem have we solved? In Ontario we have one of the highest automotive insurance rates in Canada and there are tons of people driving without insurance because the fine is often cheaper than their insurance and only if you get caught. Also I bet they can fight it too.

Amputations sound pretty good.

Video's of motorcyclists going that fast are all over the internet. I won't post links here, as it's easy to view for yourself. That's stupid fast on the street.

Interestingly enough, my aircraft's top speed is 170MPH (not bad for a 40 year old Cessna) and cruises at 160 all day long. I find flying more fun than motorcycling. And, anybody who says you don't get the sensation of speed while flying is lying to you. There are certainly times where the speed is evident. In and out of clouds for example.

I often have to double check my driving speed after a long day of flying. As I have a tendency to "want" to go way too fast. So, clearly, my brain is registering the speed while flying.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
not bad for a 40 year old Cessna

I grew up in a 1959 310. Anything close?

I've often compared general aviation vs commercial flying as being like riding a motorcycle vs taking the Greyhound. I really miss it.

Last edited:
Impound his helmet and make him sign the organ donation card.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: benjamming
JHZR2,

I didn't realize that amputation had become an option. Amputate what?

LOL, not saying it is legally either. But as a state to deal with someone like this who obviously disrespects the laws and licensing, what do you do?

Take their license? Theyll drive anyway.
Amputate their legs? Then they become a societal burden.
Put them in jail? That costs money too.

So my point is there isnt a good solution besides hoping that physics takes its toll between the perp and an inanimate object.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Video's of motorcyclists going that fast are all over the internet. I won't post links here, as it's easy to view for yourself. That's stupid fast on the street.

Interestingly enough, my aircraft's top speed is 170MPH (not bad for a 40 year old Cessna) and cruises at 160 all day long. I find flying more fun than motorcycling. And, anybody who says you don't get the sensation of speed while flying is lying to you. There are certainly times where the speed is evident. In and out of clouds for example.

I often have to double check my driving speed after a long day of flying. As I have a tendency to "want" to go way too fast. So, clearly, my brain is registering the speed while flying.

But if the engine fails on a motorcycle while driging over a mountain, its a bit different than if the cessna's engine fails flying over the same mountain...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
But if the engine fails on a motorcycle while driging over a mountain, its a bit different than if the cessna's engine fails flying over the same mountain...

Don't remind me...

I'm always mindful of having to do a forced landing.

It is interesting that motorcycling and small aircraft flying have about the same safety record, statistically. The one good aspect of flying is that you have some control over your situation. I can choose not to fly in bad weather, for example. Where as a motorcyclist is always at the mercy of others decisions too. I don't worry much about someone running a red light in front of my plane.

Here in Pa. that is a felony fleeing and eluding which will stick on your record most likely for life. Any felony on your record is a burden for employment aspects "especially" in this day & age with soo many out of work and looking for work; they screen and should there prospective employees. Sounds like this nut could probally care less though!!

Ha, ha, nice.

If he had a good lawyer and a few bucks and he would have slid right out of that.

I know a lot of people with good lawyers and lots of points on their license from having a bit to much fun...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back