17 year old rear brakes Chevy 2500HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
Did the front breaks last year and they still had like 50 percent.
The rears were down to 20 percent and really no grease was left on anything. It was time.
They came apart surprisingly easy for having been together that long.
Here are the pictures with some under carriage shots so you rust belt guys can drool over what a 17 year old undercarriage looks like in Western Washington.
smile.gif

Didn't use AC/Delco this time. When with a set that had 900 4.8 star review on Amazon. They look like a nice quality product.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ha, My '94 Dodge 2500 still has the OEM drum brakes on the rear at 190k. Did the front discs about 6 years ago. That's 25 years!

After 17 years in the rust belt everything would be flaking in layers of rust. I see alot of those older gm trucks for sale on Craigslist with broken frames. Also see some driving around where the bed and cab are touching

Originally Posted by diyjake
What rotors and brake pads did you use?

They were sold by Callahan and came with ceramic brake pads.
The biggest complaints I read were you have to open the area on the pad were it floats on the anti rattle bracket. You just use a round file to do that.
Takes a couple of minutes for all 4 pads.
I had to do the same thing on the front brakes when I did those and they were the pricey high end AC Delco brakes.
The only reason you do it so the they don't bind up.
On the AC Delco and Callahan pads you were basically knocking the paint off.

Originally Posted by Delta
Holy smokes, even our 4 your old Camry isn't that clean!

Yeah we are lucky out here, that is why I am keep in this truck. It has lots of years left in it.

Originally Posted by andyd
Cant figure out why you bought new Rear rotors if the pads were at 20%
21.gif

Because the hardware and pads had no grease left. I had everything apart and parts were 116.00 dollars shipped.
Both rotors had a ridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back