‘17 VW GTI 2.0TSi PPE 0w-40 5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 VW GTI 6-speed with EA888 gen 3 2.0l TSI DI engine. Just turning 40k miles. First oil analysis was Castrol Edge 0w-30, this analysis was Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40. Both bought years ago during AZ and WM clearances paying no more than $2/qt.

PPE 0w-40 was in service during the severe winter we just had for just under 5k miles, Mann filter had 10k miles on it. I drive 90% highway around 35k miles/year. For some reason my Fe numbers are lower than any other EA888 than I've seen.

I think I will be going to 10k intervals based on these numbers, maybe 20k on filters. VW UK says 2 years and 20k with my driving style. I have one more Wix kit so I think I will give it a go. The slight viscosity drop doesn't worry me, it was still thicker than Castrol after the same time.
[Linked Image]

Why is there Potassium/Sodium in the sample? Is this in the oil or is this your vehicle with coolant leaking into the oil?

I'm not sure I would run a high calcium oil in a D.I. engine although German engines don't seem to suffer from LSPI the same way.

Otherwise looks great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Why is there Potassium/Sodium in the sample? Is this in the oil or is this your vehicle with coolant leaking into the oil?

I'm not sure I would run a high calcium oil in a D.I. engine although German engines don't seem to suffer from LSPI the same way.

Otherwise looks great.

One possibility of contamination is in my area there is a lot of road salt and brine applied.
"Most liquid chemicals (brines) for snow and ice control are based on one or more of the commonly used deicing chemicals, such as salt, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. Others, like calcium magnesium acetate (CMA), potassium acetate and urea are of organic origin."

My car, like most, gradually have the coolant level drop in the reservoir. VW says "they do that". Mine has a faint coolant smell after a hot shutdown but no visible leakage.

All of the Euro formulations seem to favor Ca over Mg. Just part of the recipe.

Iron number is so low, it looks like a Toyota engine. VW's usually shed more than that.

If LSPI is ever a concern, there is https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...w-40-reformulated-now-sn-no-more-ferrari recently added to the SN+ list of LSPI-resistant oils.
Low to mid saps oils VW recommends should have low enough calcium to keep LSPI away: There is Pennzoil Platinum Euro AV and LX that meets the VW specs. Mobil1 ESP 5w30 too.

Those potassium and sodium levels are very low. A very tiny amount of soil dust gets in, creating a tad bit of potassium, and salt dust too, all through the air cleaner and past the rings into the oil.
Can't be at all concerned about tiny PPM levels like that.

Pretty high ZDDP level (compared to US SN/GF5 oils) to go along with that high calcium, and ZDDP is a powerful LSPI mitigator.
May be related to the apparent paucity of LSPI problems in Europe (??), could have nothing to do with it...

Originally Posted by LotI
Originally Posted by StevieC

Otherwise looks great.

One possibility of contamination is in my area there is a lot of road salt and brine applied.
"Most liquid chemicals (brines) for snow and ice control are based on one or more of the commonly used deicing chemicals, such as salt, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride. Others, like calcium magnesium acetate (CMA), potassium acetate and urea are of organic origin."

My car, like most, gradually have the coolant level drop in the reservoir. VW says "they do that". Mine has a faint coolant smell after a hot shutdown but no visible leakage.

All of the Euro formulations seem to favor Ca over Mg. Just part of the recipe.

Ours has that coolant smell on shut down as well. I think it's a VW thing, maybe just the smell of hot plastics.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Where's the fuel contamination level? Did I miss it in the report?

Based on the 100c viscosity I'm not worried about fuel dilution. ALS doesn't test for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back