'17 Ram Ecodiesel 3.0 - 7501 miles CP Triton 5w40 1300 PPM Zinc

Attached is my UOA on a 7501 mi run of Phillips 66 Triton ECT 5w40 in my Ecodiesel Ram . I've owned this truck since new and this is it's first UOA 3.5 years later. A good amount of offroad and moderate amount of idling for warmup in the winter months. The oil experienced +75F to -50F during this duration from April 2020 to February 2021.

I changed at 9 months and 7501 miles when the oil minder got to 0% to see how well the oil was holding up and as you can see I could have gone much longer. Knowing that , I'll be able to comfortably change once a year in the summer going forward.

The oil has a great add pack and the TBN still shows lots of life left at 4.5. The emissions hardware intact tune on these trucks really wakes them up. Moderate power gains but reliability and drivability are much much better. Fuel is very low and likely what helped with TBN staying higher by not being trashed with excessive soot.

Silicon is within spec and I do have an AFE intake with the pro dry filter so that is also showing there is no massive issue with filtration.

Also this is on the $5 STP cartridge oil filter part #S11794. I've run these since the second oil change. Better than buying a $38 Mopar filter that I don't see could have done any better.

Overall I'm very pleased with the oil and the tune.

IMG_00001.jpeg

Last edited:
What oil went back in? Nice report 🇺🇸👍🍺

2 gallons of Delvac 5w40 and 2.5 qts of M1 TDT 5w40. The truck takes 10.5 qts and that was the cheapest combo at the time for that quantity. I'll likely run this until April 2022, find some more Triton 5w40 and test again. If there is no appreciable difference between the random FS Mobil mix and the CP then I'll just buy whatever is on sale and run it.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the report. Right time because I am chosing what to use for coming oil change and its counterpart from Kendall (SHP 5W-40) was on my list. Just one issue with the report: according to PDS it should contain 100 ppm of Titanium. They removed Titanium from PCMOs, but PDSs of HDEO P66 Triton ECT/Guardol XT and Kendall SHP still show it. Would you check production date on the oil can, if you still have it ? Thank you.

P66 Triton ECT is the only HDEO from a major domestic manufacturer that has a significant shot of PAO in the formula. I bet the Noack is also low.

FYI there is also an arctic version 0w40 which is sold under the Triton/Guardol or Kendall label, it may be even better in your climate.

Would you clarify what make you believe that it has a significant shot of PAO ? If it's so, it would be great, but I am afraid this was in the past and they changed the formulation in 2017.

Youre right, now P66 calls it guardol XT 5w40.

I remember the previous formula was like 40% PAO. The current SDS dated 2/21 shows 15%.

Maybe yes, maybe no ;) Оn the one hand, since 2017 SDS says "less than 15%" (it was 37% in 2016 and less than 37% in 2014), but from the other hand, as I undertand, not all PAO need to be listed. Given unchanged typical properties specified in PDS, there is still a hope that PAO content may be higher, but whether we may take PDS values as a reference, if they are called "typical" and values in CoA for this or that batch usually differ. Besides, Titan is missing in this UOA. Well, in light of PAO prices the probability the manufacturer has substituted some PAO by gr. III is higher.

P66 Triton ECT is the only HDEO from a major domestic manufacturer that has a significant shot of PAO in the formula. I bet the Noack is also low.

FYI there is also an arctic version 0w40 which is sold under the Triton/Guardol or Kendall label, it may be even better in your climate.

The Arctic 0w40s just are hard to come by already up here at a distributor. By the time I ship a case to Alaska it’s a very expensive oil change. The 5w40s so far have done very well even at extremely low temps but if I ever find any of the 0w40s here I would give it a shot.

Thanks a lot for the report. Right time because I am chosing what to use for coming oil change and its counterpart from Kendall (SHP 5W-40) was on my list. Just one issue with the report: according to PDS it should contain 100 ppm of Titanium. They removed Titanium from PCMOs, but PDSs of HDEO P66 Triton ECT/Guardol XT and Kendall SHP still show it. Would you check production date on the oil can, if you still have it ? Thank you.
This was the last of my Triton but it was probably from 2016 or 2017. Gallon jugs not cans though. It was 5 years old not 50 lol. That’s my Datsun's crankcase.

The Arctic 0w40s just are hard to come by already up here at a distributor. By the time I ship a case to Alaska it’s a very expensive oil change. The 5w40s so far have done very well even at extremely low temps but if I ever find any of the 0w40s here I would give it a shot.

My local P66 distributor said they could get me the Kendal/Triton SHP Arctic 0w40 but I would need to buy a 55 gallon drum! I told them thanks but no thanks...

This was the last of my Triton but it was probably from 2016 or 2017. Gallon jugs not cans though. It was 5 years old not 50 lol. That’s my Datsun's crankcase.

That formula looks old. Most modern CJ-4 oils have a detergent package of blended calcium/magnesium. Your UOA is all calcium which your don't really see anymore

Thank you for your clarification. In this case I may only guess why about 100 ppm of Titanium are missing. Another issue is a huge drop in both viscosities: according to PDS KV@40C should be about 96 cSt and KV@100C - about 14.5 cSt. Before 2017 they specified respectively 95 and 15.1. Fuel content is low. Have you used a low viscosity oil for the previous fill ? I don't believe Triton could shear in this way.

Back