17' Nissan Sentra Turbo-Has anyone here drove one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're on the softer side of "sportiness". I would call it "the better family vehicle".

The TURBO(91 octane required) adds that extra power that the Sentra needs however, it doesn't quite feel it's 188 hp with the CVT but, I like it!
smile.gif

And don't expect it to feel like your VW/Audi, as the SR still has the solid beam rear suspension. But, it is a good vehicle for the "everyday-ness/normal-ness" of life. The extra giddy up & go when you need/want it. I have not driven the manual however the reviews I have read mention that it is NOT a Honda-like or Mazda-like shift/clutch feel...or VW/Audi for that matter.

Personally, I like NISSAN vehicles as I find them more comfortable than many in their particular segment. And I don't mind the CVT. Here's a review that kind'a mimics my impression:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5c93zjvfk

There are other video reviews that should pop up as well. Many have similar impressions however, you can't please them all.

Last edited:
It is indeed!
In the base model Sentra S and in all SR trim lines. I believe that the NISMO is only offered in a manual...along with an rear independent suspension, larger brakes & 18" wheels & tires.

Only in a universe where the Golf VII doesn't exist would it matter how a turbo Sentra drives, IMO.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Have you considered the Ford ST pairs?

This. Another excellent sport compact that Nissan can't compete with. The high priced turbo Sentra is out of its element. Sentras are low budget economy cars and haven't been otherwise since the original SE-R model. No, the spec V didn't cut it either.

Nissan stopped making good vehicles about 2002. Used to be a big Nissan fan. Gave my 2001 Sentra with the SR20DE engine to my granddaughter. 150K miles and runs like new.

A Civic Sport Hatchback with the 1.5 Turbo and a manual should be fun. Sticker should be about 23k or so.

Nismo and SR Turbo are identical besides minor suspension tweaks and cosmetics.

Both are offered in manual and CVT.

Engine is the same from the Juke, aka 1.6 Turbo. This engine has been proven to be reliable and can easily handle 300hp/tq if you want to mod.

Nissan also underated the engine. It makes close to 188whp, which puts into the 210hp range.

If you can get a good deal on one, go for it. They seem solid.

Originally Posted By: Al
Nissan stopped making good vehicles about 2002. Used to be a big Nissan fan. Gave my 2001 Sentra with the SR20DE engine to my granddaughter. 150K miles and runs like new.

We had a 2001 Sentra GXE with the same engine (IIRC) as well Al. Bought it new for around $12K. I didn't care for that Sentra compared to the 1993 it replaced. Shifted weird. Engine felt harsh compared to the older Sentra. Various annoying squeaks/rattles, etc. We only had it a few years and ~40K miles to judge it's potential for longevity for us. Moved to a minivan due to kids and been there ever since! LOL

Last edited:
The last SER Spec-V (maybe around 2010,2011) had some character. With the variable valve timing, similar to Honda's VTEC. You'd get this rush of power at the higher RPM. A friend bought one, and I remember it having what seemed like more torque than my 2.0 Si.

Today? It may be an OK car, but I wouldn't pay over $19,999 for it. Not when GTIs and Focus STs can be had for 22-23k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back