17 Kia Sportage: Purolator One vs Purolator Boss for a regular OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!
Please educate me on the following.
I've been religiously using Kia OEM filters exclusively on my 17 Sportage, but then saw this post by wemay and opened a new world of filters for myself
smile.gif

The question that I have is there any benefits of using Boss over One for a regular OCI? I change oil every 5-6k to keep the warranty.
From what I've read for the last week or so is that Boss has lots of high end features, but will I really benefit from it when changed every 6k miles?
Also, if there's any other filter for the car worth trying do let me know.
Happy New Year everyone!

What is the price difference between the Puro Boss and the Kia OEM?

Kia filters are good. I would stick with those if you are concerned about Warranty claims.

IMO, I've switched to Fram Ultras. But I run them for 2+ OCI to get my money's worth out of them. They are rated for 15K+ miles.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
I don't see any advantage, for your specified OCI, of the Boss over the One.

Agreed, Boss is for longer OCIs.....

JC1 the difference is like $5-6 which is nothing twice a year.
I did hear concerns about the filtration efficiency of an OEM filter, decided to run a UOA with OEM and then the same with Boss to see the difference.

JLTD, it is for a longer OCI, I dont question that. But it also has a better synthetic media which might just work better?
If that's the case, I'll use it over the One

I am pretty sure the Purolator one filters are still recommended against due to tearing still being a thing? I would go with the boss if I was required to use a purolator.

I like the Fram Ultra's, too. For the past 2 years, I've been using MicroGreen oil filters. The oil doesn't start turning dark until 7-8,000 miles.

At the price of the Purolator Boss I wouldn't run one over OE, but I would run a Fram Ultra as they're more affordable than the Boss. Purolator 1 wouldn't even be in my decision matrix, Fram TG would be but it has limited benefit for the slight price advantage over the Ultra.

Honestly Purolator has issues across their entire line-up, to include cut ADBV across all lines, torn media on all models except the Boss. Because of that I wouldn't run one, of any flavor.

For me I would consider an Ultra or TG or even an Extra Guard (OCOD) over a Purolator, but I wouldn't run an OCOD over an OE filter. So that leaves the Ultra and TG vs OE. TG is more money than OE, but is 99% at 20um which is excellent suitable for 2x 5k OCI, the Ultra is 99+% at 20um and is suitable for 3 or more 5k OCI. OE filter is a known good unit, but personally I change them every OCI.

With either the TG or Ultra if run for more than one OCI you're at price advantage or equal to the price of the OE filter, but at an excellent efficiency of at least 99% compared to the unknown efficiency of the OE filter.

XG or TG or OE for me.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
I don't see any advantage, for your specified OCI, of the Boss over the One.

The PureOne is more efficient than the Boss ... until it tears.
eek.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by SlavaB
I did hear concerns about the filtration efficiency of an OEM filter, decided to run a UOA with OEM and then the same with Boss to see the difference.

A UOA without an ISO particle count won't tell you anything about how clean the oil was kept.

Use a Napa Proselect. Cheaper and plenty good. or go OEM. No point going overkill on a extended drain filter if changing out in 6k.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

A UOA without an ISO particle count won't tell you anything about how clean the oil was kept.

Even a particle count is irrelavant. How does that tell you the impact it has on an engine's durability/longevity?

You will not benefit from the Boss with a 5-6k OCI

My choice would be the Full oil filter from Napa. They also carry Mann, which is the OE supplier. Both are around $5 each.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Even a particle count is irrelavant. How does that tell you the impact it has on an engine's durability/longevity?

In my book, cleaner oil is always better than dirtier oil - regardless of how much cleaner. A better PC is better than not, so it's not really irrelevant to me at least. As I keep saying, can anyone link up a SAE study or similar study showing that high efficiency filters don't keep oil cleaner, and that cleaner oil means no change in engine wear compared to dirtier oil? I have not found a study showing that, but plenty that show cleaner oil means less wear on parts.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...g-way-in-the-wrong-direction#Post4966246

OEM filter (found on multiple sites for $4.50 a piece) with a 6k interval is what I would do.

Last edited:
No benefit from the Boss, and with the issues with Purolator filters, I would not use a Purolator at all.

Nothing wrong with OEM Hyundai. Unknown exact filtration %, but meets Hyundai/Kia specs.

A regular Fram or even a Supertech (do they still make a ST9688???) would do what you need.
I used Wix all the time when I had my Elantra and they are also a good option (but are more than the OEM for the most part).

JLTD, it is for a longer OCI, I dont question that. But it also has a better synthetic media which might just work better?
If that's the case, I'll use it over the One

Purators are still having issues with media tears... given the choice I would use higher end filter....then again Wix are very good quality filters, that's my preference.....for the 4Runner the Amsoil filter is $18 for a 15k filter and the regular Wix is good for at least 10k at less than 1/2 the price.

I couldn't find any issues reported after 2016, all of the bad reviews are back there. Why do you think Boss still has the issue? I'm truly interested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back