17 GTI, Motul 505.01/502 5W40, 5,925 OCI, 10,912 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vehicle is a 2017 GTI S DSG

Engine is 2.0 TSI EA888 Gen. 3

Prior to this UOA, I changed the engine oil twice.

First oil change was done at 975 miles and used Mobil 1 0W40 without changing the oil filter.

Second oil change was done at 4,987 miles. This time I used 5 liters of Motul Specific VW 505.01/502 and 1 quart of Castrol 0W40 European Formula. I still left the oil filter alone. Why the mixed oil change you ask? It's because I made an online order of 6 liters of Motul Xcess 5W40 but they sent me a 5 liter jug of Motul Specific VW by mistake so I figured what the heck, might as well use some free oil.

Why did I not change the oil filter? I figured its efficiency would continue to improve and the filter change interval is at 10K miles anyway.

Reason for the UOA analysis was to find out how a mostly mid SAPS oil would hold up to my driving conditions.

This UOA consisted of about 4,425 miles of my daily commute which is 35 miles heading in to Washington DC and another 35 miles back to Annapolis MD area plus weekend driving to wherever. It takes me between 1.25 hrs. to 1.5 hrs. The remaining 1,500 miles was from a road trip to Canada.

Engine oil level did increase by what I think is about 1/4 of an inch. DI fuel dilution.

Engine oil and filter was changed when the sample was taken. Current fill is 6 liters of Motul Xcess 5W40.

With the results from this UOA, using a Full SAPS engine oil instead of mid SAPS, I feel comfortable in going the entire OCI of 10K miles that VW recommends.

I will monitor the oil level increase and if it continues to increase by about 1/4 of an inch, I will either fill the sump half way on the dipstick every oil change or, fill it up to the full mark then at 5K miles, take a quart of oil through the dipstick tube then replenish with new oil just below the full mark to compensate for the fuel dilution.

I know there are still residual break-in materials but I will do another UOA after 10K miles since copper has me a bit worried.

I have used the X-CESS (and a variety of their other oils) in various vehicles for many years and been happy with it. It's an A3-B4 oil so a bit stronger sauce than the VW Specific. About $45 for 5 liter jug on Amazon. You have two very good vehicles that give away you are a motorhead. Enjoy.

Cheers

Larry

Thank you DeepFriar. My wife loves it! She drove our friends non turbo charged Forester and she was very disappointed with its power. Hehehe

I should also add that my daily commute travel time is 1.25 to 1.5 hrs. ONE WAY. I forgot to mention that in my OP.

NEVER change oil without a NEW filter!!! oil pros state filter is as important or more so than the oil itself!!! went 200,000 in my 01 Jetta 1.8T enhanced to 300 TQ + 275 HP on 10-30 Amsoil that USED to be PAO + Ester, 10,000 changes mostly highway 100 to 200 daily to construction sites, but today who knows!!! love those Vag cars, now an 01 TT 225Q roadster also hotted up!! you are just a APR chip download from bigger power, but prolly loose warranty!!!

benjy,

Oil filter is rated up to 10K miles OCI that is the reason I did not bother to change the filter.

As far as tuning, I am really tempted but I am keeping myself disciplined and will wait until the warranty expires before I do engine mods.

Originally Posted By: onemig
benjy,

Oil filter is rated up to 10K miles OCI that is the reason I did not bother to change the filter.

As far as tuning, I am really tempted but I am keeping myself disciplined and will wait until the warranty expires before I do engine mods.

Smart. As soon as the warranty is up I'd call Unitronic and get their stage 1+ ECU and stage 1 DSG tune.

Makes the car into a monster.

rooflessVW,

19.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: benjy
NEVER change oil without a NEW filter!!! oil pros state filter is as important or more so than the oil itself!!! went 200,000 in my 01 Jetta 1.8T enhanced to 300 TQ + 275 HP on 10-30 Amsoil that USED to be PAO + Ester, 10,000 changes mostly highway 100 to 200 daily to construction sites, but today who knows!!! love those Vag cars, now an 01 TT 225Q roadster also hotted up!! you are just a APR chip download from bigger power, but prolly loose warranty!!!

You’ve said that many times about Amsoil SS. Why keep bringing it up as some serious violation on Amsoil’s part without you stating strong evidence of your claim? It is not fair. It seems to me that what you are doing is the same thing as someone that keeps telling others that you might be gay because you’ve stopped proclaiming that are not gay. In my opinion, evidence that Amsoil SS does use only PAO and ester base oils comes from:

- evidence of significant ester content coming multiple UOAs and VOAs in which the oxidation measurement is at least 40. This evidence is strong enough to be considered to be proof.

- evidence of LACK of Group III coming from lack of Group III being mentioned in MSDS, despite other Amsoil oil’s mentioning Group III. This is evidence but not proof.

- evidence of LACK of Group III from the exceptionally low volatility of Amsoil SS. This is evidence but not proof.

benjy,

I do the same thing. Oil so far is 5k due to fear of fuel dilution and I have a bunch of 502 clearance oil. I change the filter at 10k.

In western Euro countries they go 18k OCI on the same oil and filter, FWIW. VW UK flexible oil schedule

10.92cst after 5.9k? IMO that is really big shear. I did several UOA on 1st gen EA888 using Mobil1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40 and oil never sheared below 13cst in case of M1 and below 12.5 in case of Castrol after 5K.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
10.92cst after 5.9k? IMO that is really big shear. I did several UOA on 1st gen EA888 using Mobil1 0W40 and Castrol 0W40 and oil never sheared below 13cst in case of M1 and below 12.5 in case of Castrol after 5K.

Could be some fuel dilution. OP said that oil level increased slightly during the run of the Motul.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Could be some fuel dilution. OP said that oil level increased slightly during the run of the Motul.

Well report does not indicate any fuel dilution. However, if there is visible increase on oil dipstick, then that is A LOT of dilution and as far as I know EA888 is not know for that.

Man i couldn't imagine spending 3 hours a day commuting, must be a dang good job. Oil seems to have held up well though.

Thanks for posting this UOA! I am going to the dealer for my 20k change this week, and plan on getting a UOA at 25k. I've been taking it to the dealer at the 10k intervals, but then changing the oil (not filter) at 5k intervals. I want to make sure the warranty is maintained by taking it to the dealer every 10k.

Its interesting you've seen the oil level rise some. From new to 15k miles I saw zero change up or down on the stick. from 15k-20k I saw the level decrease and added a bit (not much but can't remember the exact amount). I'm going to keep an eye on it but I've mostly heard of the 2.0 consuming a bit of oil.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Thanks for posting this UOA! I am going to the dealer for my 20k change this week, and plan on getting a UOA at 25k. I've been taking it to the dealer at the 10k intervals, but then changing the oil (not filter) at 5k intervals. I want to make sure the warranty is maintained by taking it to the dealer every 10k.

Its interesting you've seen the oil level rise some. From new to 15k miles I saw zero change up or down on the stick. from 15k-20k I saw the level decrease and added a bit (not much but can't remember the exact amount). I'm going to keep an eye on it but I've mostly heard of the 2.0 consuming a bit of oil.

Yea I was curious about the oil level rise myself. I have almost 9K on mine haven't noticed anything like that yet, although mine is the manual and I try and keep revs above 2K. I also will run the snot out of it atleast once per trip. The only time I have used oil was when it was being short tipped in town while the Camry was in the shop. I might get a UOA on my current Edge 0w40 fill when I change it just to see.

If no fuel dilution or coolant then it's not fuel causing the rise in oil level but perhaps the ground on which the vehicle is sitting OR user error.

IDK, I check my oil level every 1K miles in my garage.

When I changed the oil prior to this UOA, I made sure that the oil level was right at the full mark. At 1K and 2K miles, the oil level was pretty much around the full mark. Any level change was not enough for me to notice on the dipstick on those two occasions. Around 3K miles is when I noticed the level had risen.

I will monitor it and will keep this thread updated.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

On SO MANY occasions here was mentioned that you can change oil on your parking lot and warranty will be maintained. You are protected by law as long as you use approved oil which for GTI is VW 502.00.
Look for Magnusson-Moss Act on Google.
As for filter, do you shower in socks? I seriously cannot comprehend changing oil, but not changing part that is uber cheap and most important to filter out particles.

IDK, I check my oil level every 1K miles in my garage.

When I changed the oil prior to this UOA, I made sure that the oil level was right at the full mark. At 1K and 2K miles, the oil level was pretty much around the full mark. Any level change was not enough for me to notice on the dipstick on those two occasions. Around 3K miles is when I noticed the level had risen.

I will monitor it and will keep this thread updated.

When is see oil level up, that is time to take sample and send it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back