17 Ford Superduty

Status
Not open for further replies.
While getting oil changed on my 2016 Ram Cummins with T4 Rotella 15w40 CK, I observed in the next lane a 17 Superduty Powerstroke getting Delo 15w40 CK.

I'm afraid the truck owner and lube shop have messed up.

Opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a list here circulating on Ford approved CK4...cannot remember if Delo is on it? Either way, Ford has created a bad situation for their owners.

Time will tell if there are problems, but (for now) that oil is not approved for use in a Ford Superduty.

I know I have a Cummins [censored] auto correct struck again. The entire point of my post was all of the previous discussion on this board that Ford has said not to use CK oils. It was merely an observation of someone possibly screwing up their warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this like a guy who has a car spec'd for 0w20 getting 5w30 and going in a panic.
Seriously I doubt 15w40 is either go to make any difference or void any warranty because there is no way except if he opening admits to it.
5w40- 15w40. No way that is going to cause a catastrophic engine failure.

Its not CK-4 oil, but certain CK-4 oils aren't approved. There is a list of many approved CK-4 oil.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Its not CK-4 oil, but certain CK-4 oils aren't approved. There is a list of many approved CK-4 oil.

This goes to show how many lube shops are really going to pay attention to Ford's little memo right now. How many Ford dealerships even tailor the oil choice to Ford's own bizarre viscosity rules?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

This goes to show how many lube shops are really going to pay attention to Ford's little memo right now. How many Ford dealerships even tailor the oil choice to Ford's own bizarre viscosity rules?

I figure there will be ones that have never heard of the memo and others that in 10 years will keep the original version of the memo without no updates and take it as the Bible.

We have the Motorcraft 10W30, 5W40, and 15W40 for diesels.

Originally Posted By: WTJackalope
While getting oil changed on my 2016 Ram Cummins with T4 Rotella 15w40 CK, I observed in the next lane a 17 Superduty Powerstroke getting Delo 15w40 CK.

I'm afraid the truck owner and lube shop have messed up.

Opinions?
The engineer is about as smart as the truck owner and lube shop. You know, Ford did approve a low phosphorus, zinc oil before this CK-4 oil debacle.

Just bought some Delvac 1300 15w40 for my Onan Diesel generator and paused for a second when I noticed it was CK4. I found nothing from Onan on CK4...Ford situation got me to pause on my generator oil selection. Good sale on Delvac 15w40.

From what I am reading all this is is a advanced Spec like SN over SL oil basically or Dexos 2. They would be hard-pressed to deny a warranty on this or prove you didn't use a CK-4 oil. Really people get way to excited over this stuff. Unless you are buying a no name oil in a dusty gas station. I am sure you will be fine with any name brand oil. Rotella or Delo etc..

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I figure there will be ones that have never heard of the memo and others that in 10 years will keep the original version of the memo without no updates and take it as the Bible.

I think you hit the nail right on the head there. The latter category will probably have it laminated and/or kept with the owner's manual.

Delo not currently on the approved list.
15w40 appropriate for any fuel with a bio diesel content, according to the manual.
I'm running Valvoline 15w40, CJ-4 in my 16. All the fuel around me is 11% bio.
Ford made the rules, I'm just playing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back