16K on M1 5-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was with my son in law today when he changed the oil in his 2010 Infinity full size SUV. He uses M1 5-30. Well, time and mileage got away from him and this OCI went up to 16K+ and 16 months since the last change. He changes it himself and shoots for 10K. Actually the oil still looked good and we did a One Drop test and the drop looked fine.

Without a UOA, this means nothing.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Well, time and mileage got away from him and this OCI went up to 16K+ and 16 months since the last change.

They left the odometer off on the 2010's eh?
lol.gif
15.gif

Originally Posted By: dave123
Now I heard it all the one drop test might as well break out the balls.

One drop "test" proves nothing.

Originally Posted By: buster
wink.gif

You guys are really hung up on UOAs. Actually I find them to be a waste of $ with only a few exceptions. I have friends that do 15 to 20 K OCIs with M1 5-30 and have never done a UOA. In fact never heard of it.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the mileage was mostly long highway miles then 15-16k miles is possible with M1 and any other synthetic.

If you will notice this was a 16 mo. run, with alot of round town soccer mon stuff with my 5 grand children.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If the mileage was mostly long highway miles then 15-16k miles is possible with M1 and any other synthetic.

If you will notice this was a 16 mo. run, with alot of round town soccer mon stuff with my 5 grand children.

Oh the humanity.......
37.gif

You seem to tout the performance of the oil and back it up with compelling evidence such as

Quote:

Actually the oil still looked good

and all we see is that the engine did not fail. Perhaps the answer is somewhere in between?

I guess he will be shooting for 16mo 16K miles from now on....?

A one time UOA could have been a great thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
Now I heard it all the one drop test might as well break out the balls.

The drop test is not useless. It has some value in the right hands, and given the time that tig1 has been doing maintenance and using the drop test, I'd trust his judgement. In fact, I'd trust his judgement on the matter a lot more than my own, since I've never done it myself.

No, it's not as informative as a UOA. He's never done them, and I doubt he's going to start now. He's happy with his interval and his choice of oil, so a UOA won't do him a lot of good. I'd love to see tig1's UOAs, but that's merely for my curiosity. By the way, I'm not volunteering to pay, either, tig1!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
wink.gif

You guys are really hung up on UOAs. Actually I find them to be a waste of $ with only a few exceptions. I have friends that do 15 to 20 K OCIs with M1 5-30 and have never done a UOA. In fact never heard of it.

It's one way to quantify the state of the oil and a [censored] of a lot more revealing than a 1 drop test. It's not a waste of money if it helps justify the longer OCI. After you have your OCI dialed in you probably wouldn't ever need another UOA unless driving conditions change significantly.

The Mobil 1 crazies say that a UOA is almost meaningless. Now Buster wants to see one. Double standard. I believe when I posted my M1 UOA with VERY high iron over several samples he was one of the first to say the UOA means ALMOST nothing, with Tig and OverKill jumping in too.
My UOA showed M1 with over 9x the iron of RP or GC. It WAS the oil until you guys prove otherwise

I've been retired for 12 years now, but before I retired I routinely did 18,000 to 20,000 miles on my yearly OCI with Mobil 1. Of course, this was back when M1 was real synthetic oil, and I used it from about 1977 until now, but since 2001 my yearly mileage has only been 8 or 9 thousand miles.

What would be interesting, (at least to me) is to put the used oil in a clear plastic jug for about six months and see if anything settles to the bottom. Honestly, I've done this with some and you would be amazed at the junk that settles out especially on an older engine.

BTW - I do the "towel test" myself. Like an old time moonshiner, you got to know what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back