165K mile 2003 BMW 330i valvetrain after a lifetime of regular oil changes

I'm the second owner of a 2003 BMW 330i "ZHP" with the M54B30 engine. I have maintenance records all the way back to new. The OCI has never exceeded 10K miles or 1 year.

I've just replaced the VANOS (variable valve timing), spark plugs, etc. and figured I'd share the look of the cams while they're exposed. Any input on how they look is much appreciated.

IMG_2621.jpeg
IMG_2622.jpeg
IMG_2623.jpeg
IMG_2626.jpeg
IMG_2618.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, what kind of oil? Euro? LL, MB, A40 stuff?
probably not with dino or blend going 10K miles.
I would still shorten the OCI. lol :alien:

Re: maintenance records
Curious about "OCI never exceeded 10K miles" statement.
Meaning always very near 10K miles range or sometimes 5-6K miles and sometimes 7-8K miles range, etc.

Last edited:
I'm the second owner of a 2003 BMW 330i "ZHP" with the M54B30 engine. I have maintenance records all the way back to new. The OCI has never exceeded 10K miles or 1 year.

I've just replaced the VANOS (variable valve timing), spark plugs, etc. and figured I'd share the look of the cams while they're exposed. Any input on how they look is much appreciated.

View attachment 156324View attachment 156325View attachment 156326View attachment 156327View attachment 156328
Sweet ride

Meaning always very near 10K miles range or sometimes 5-6K miles and sometimes 7-8K miles range, etc.
Sounds like the previous owner was on the 1 year interval due to the consistently low miles

View attachment 156325View attachment 156326View attachment 156327View attachment 156328View attachment 156323
Looks great for this comparatively low mileage engine. I also had a 2003 (Saph black on black leather). It was a blast to drive and it was bitter sweet letting her go.

Looks great! I know you have Castrol 0w40 in your sig, but do you know what oil the PO used? My friend's 2005 330i ZHP in imola red with the 6MT is still my favorite car to drive.

Definitely looks better than my sister's! She loves that car though, despite the fenders now rotting off it.

It was originally a lease and serviced by Bay Area BMW dealers, so whatever they were using about 20 years ago. The previous owner and I have been using Castrol European 0W40 (the Belgian-manufactured one as I recall) for at least the last 30K miles.

The previous owner stopped driving it regularly so did many changes at 5K-6K on the 1-year mark.

Looks great! I know you have Castrol 0w40 in your sig, but do you know what oil the PO used? My friend's 2005 330i ZHP in imola red with the 6MT is still my favorite car to drive.
Answered above, but I do want to ask him to double-check.

The ZHP is such a wonderful car. It's the best car I've ever owned. It needs active ownership and preventative maintenance, but it rewards the owner with driving dynamics that are hard to beat.

Did you always run 10k intervals or did you adhere to BMWs 15k interval until they changed that.

Back