'16 Silverado diff fluid M1 vs. Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I do realize some materials are different and have different compositions relative to brands and factory specs and what not. But having metal particles, being microscopic or flakes or anything of the sort, it most definitely isn't a benefit. In reality it is probably causing damage. How much damage? Probably not enough to make a difference, I would agree. I just don't like the idea of having material floating around in my lubricating fluid.

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
Great replies guys!
What benefits would i see with Redline or Amsoil over Mobil 1?
Keep in mind i will probably change fluid every 40k miles, or so, depending on boredom.
smile.gif

Will having an ester based lubricant extend life of the differential, bearings and such more so than mobil 1?
Looking forward to your replies!

In the 96 Merc GM I had, I changed the duff with M1 75-90 every 100K. The fluid always came out clear and clean.

Originally Posted By: ChevyMan93
And I do realize some materials are different and have different compositions relative to brands and factory specs and what not. But having metal particles, being microscopic or flakes or anything of the sort, it most definitely isn't a benefit. In reality it is probably causing damage. How much damage? Probably not enough to make a difference, I would agree. I just don't like the idea of having material floating around in my lubricating fluid.

Yes! Exactly.

Go redline. It's not like your going to be changing it like engine oil. Just knowing it's lubricating your Rear diff will make you feel like your floating on Esters. I put Redline in a manual transmission ford I had 20 years ago. Always shifted smoother.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Honestly my Aerostar went well over 200K miles the cheapest off the shelf dino gear oil I could find. Changed at 100K miles, and never again. Hard NY severe service, always heavily loaded. My point is I don't think in the average vehicle it makes much difference as long at the gear oil meets the spec. Opinions vary though.

Is a dino gear oil inferior in performance ?

Truth be told I couldn't tell any difference. As mentioned there are millions of cars on the road that never had their differentials serviced and are still running around with the factory fill. That is probably the most neglected fluid used in a vehicle.

Cline, yes I need a ls "additive" as I have a limited slip differential. I'm gunna go with Mobil 1 y'all I ordered it. Will probably change in a week or two when I have time off of work. Am curious to see the how the ff held up so far.

I run Delvac 1 in the locker - not well known - but serious builder pedigree - still use M1 in the front ...

I appreciate everyones input, i went ahead and ordered 8 quarts of M1 75-90. Will be changing sometime soon. Thanks everyone!

Gear oil doesn't do much. Sump capacity is more important than a choice of lubricant. The best would be straight 90 LE 1605 as it is the most shear and wear resistant. Then I would consider RL 75W-110 and Mobil Delvac 75W-90 (zoro.com during their flash 30% sales). RL 'feels' better right away on those. Incidentally, I filled a Ford 8.8 with Delo ESI 85W-140 by mistake, and there is no way i will go back on anything else in that application.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Gear oil doesn't do much. Sump capacity is more important than a choice of lubricant. The best would be straight 90 LE 1605 as it is the most shear and wear resistant. Then I would consider RL 75W-110 and Mobil Delvac 75W-90 (zoro.com during their flash 30% sales). RL 'feels' better right away on those. Incidentally, I filled a Ford 8.8 with Delo ESI 85W-140 by mistake, and there is no way i will go back on anything else in that application.

What do you mean by the bit that i bolded?

So much different: smoother and silent with no demonstrable loss in mpg in its predominantly highway application.

So much different: smoother and silent with no demonstrable loss in mpg in its predominantly highway application.

Yea-I'm sure you can tell beyond the road/tire noise. You ears must be really tuned where you can hear the difference (if any) in a few decibels.

This post is a good as a one a few days ago where the guy was claiming less rolling resistance by changing his gear fluid.

Last edited:
....Incidentally, I filled a Ford 8.8 with Delo ESI 85W-140 by mistake, and there is no way i will go back on anything else in that application.

..and filling it is in itself, a tedious chore.
Wait, it runs cooooooler .......... than a 75W8x/90.
27.gif

When you drive a lot, you hear every tiny hiccup the vehicle makes, every little change...
When I worked in a turbine hall, we had a senior fellow, who would wake up when a turbine would go 30 rpm off the regular speed.

When you drive a lot, you hear every tiny hiccup the vehicle makes, every little change...
When I worked in a turbine hall, we had a senior fellow, who would wake up when a turbine would go 30 rpm off the regular speed.

I got over a million miles (yes-a million) under my belt-don't know about you. It could be your hearing is better than mine.

Last edited:
I feel your ocdness that you have when mine hits 40k Its getting its Diffs, and tranny oil changed. I wont touch it again but every 50k after that. If I cant offered to have that service done at dealer every 50k then idk man.

I recently tried filling my front diff with M1 75w140 in an attempt to reduce whine. Mistake. Shifting was horrible. Clunk! And it started leaking from the rear seal which didn't make sense. Back to 75w90 and all is good (except for moaning whining noise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back