16 mazda cx5 2.5... oil and filter brand and type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by sh40674
Originally Posted by Randy_R
Don't forget the crush washer.

Do these need replaced every change? If so does advance or oreillys or anywhere like that sell them?

I think they're supposed to be, however the VAST majority of owners and mechanics don't actually do it. If it doesn't leak, it's fine, really.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by spasm3
I changed my oil drain plug from the factory 8mm internal hex, to an external standard type hex.

May not be a problem. But if that internal hex rounds out, it will be a pain to remove.

Hmm, I guess Mazda doesn't want you to overtighten the oil drain plug.

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

Mazda oil change

Just buy a proper 8mm hex and no worries about damaging the plug.

"Except U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico" is the rest of the world. Why would they say that then go on to describe criteria for Mexico?

You can buy the car from North America and take it anywhere in the world. The manual is for the car sold in NA. The Owner Maintenance section makes no mention of region aside from where the grade of oil is specified. The section you circled talks about maintenance schedule. Clearly the 13:1 skyactiv 2.0 in NA wont blow up with 5w30.

Originally Posted by haggler
"Except U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico" is the rest of the world. Why would they say that then go on to describe criteria for Mexico?

You can buy the car from North America and take it anywhere in the world. The manual is for the car sold in NA. The Owner Maintenance section makes no mention of region aside from where the grade of oil is specified. The section you circled talks about maintenance schedule. Clearly the 13:1 skyactiv 2.0 in NA wont blow up with 5w30.

It is not. It means in North America except U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico, which means only in Mexico. Mexico is the only exception in the world. I posted the worldwide manual above, and 0W-20 is the recommended oil in every country in every continent:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...il-and-filter-brand-and-type#Post5379123

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by Randy_R
Don't forget the crush washer.

Do these need replaced every change? If so does advance or oreillys or anywhere like that sell them?

I think they're supposed to be, however the VAST majority of owners and mechanics don't actually do it. If it doesn't leak, it's fine, really.

And if it does leak, what do you do? Actually, I have found that I give the wrench one last tug and the plug feels tight. I don't know if a used washer would give you the same feeling. I have never attempted to use the old washer. At $1.18 each I bought the first two and the counter man threw in some extra.

This is the manual for my USA MX5 attached. In this section it describes specifications for engine oil to use with 3 regions described:

1 - USA, Canada, Puerto Rico - 0w20 only
2 - Except USA, Canada Puerto Rico - 5w30
3 - Mexico - 5w30 or 5w20

These three categories cover the entire world.

You agree the manual is for this car sold in the USA, correct? Say I decide to import this car to Wuhan, China. I am not going to reference a Chinese owners manual for a China sold MX5. I am going to reference the manual that came with the car, where the car is sold. So what oil do I use? #2 above, the oil used everywhere except USA, Canada, Puerto Rico or Mexico. #2 includes #3 implicitly and explicitly.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by haggler
This is the manual for my USA MX5 attached. In this section it describes specifications for engine oil to use with 3 regions described:

1 - USA, Canada, Puerto Rico - 0w20 only
2 - Except USA, Canada Puerto Rico - 5w30
3 - Mexico - 5w30 or 5w20

These three categories cover the entire world.

You agree the manual is for this car sold in the USA, correct? Say I decide to import this car to Wuhan, China. I am not going to reference a Chinese owners manual for a China sold MX5. I am going to reference the manual that came with the car, where the car is sold. So what oil do I use? #2 above, the oil used everywhere except USA, Canada, Puerto Rico or Mexico. #2 includes #3 implicitly and explicity.

This is getting ridiculous. You are not even reading the posts before you post. I posted the same North American manual earlier. Why are you repeating it? I then posted the worldwide manual. The worldwide manual lists practically every country, including very hot regions. The North American manual only lists USA, Canada, Mexico, and Puerto Rico. I explained the reason for Mexico as Group III synthetic oil being very expensive there and most people still using Group I 25W-50 etc. there. How are people going to use 0W-20 in Mexico, which doesn't even really exist in that country?

You're reading way too much into a trivial oil recommendation. Are you also going to insist only Castrol should be used in North America per the manual? (I had to write that in official Castrol green -- Pantone® 348C, RGB hex #009933.
lol.gif
) 0W-20 is the recommended grade throughout the world. If you move to Mexico, you will not void your car's warranty if you use 0W-20. It says 5W-20 is OK in Mexico, and almost everyone here knows that 5W-20 and 0W-20 are practically the same viscosity grade except when it's extremely cold. The reason why 0W-20 is not mentioned for Mexico is the lack of availability there.

So... where do I get genuine washers without going to the dealer? (I hate the mazda dealer we have here)

Regarding the Mexico and 5W-30 question, nobody mentioned that the the severe OCI for Mexico is 3,000 miles, as opposed to 5,000 miles in countries where 0W-20 is used. Likewise regular OCI is 6,000 miles vs. 7,500 miles (or even 12,000 miles for ACEA oils), respectively. This is because in Mexico conventional oil is recommended (5W-30) instead of synthetic oil thanks to lack of availability of synthetic oil there.

If you look at the global manual I linked above, which happens to be incredibly fragmented, for Azerbaijan, Armenia, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Mongolia, Mozambique, and Tanzania, OCI is also 3,000 miles. I am not going to try to locate the country-specific manuals for these countries, but I bet conventional oil like in Mexico is recommended for these countries because of lack of availability of synthetic oil.

The 0W-20/5W-30 confusion arises from the lack of the distinction between synthetic oil and conventional oil in the API/ILSAC certification system. In ACEA practically every 5W-30 is synthetic, and it's subject to tougher tests. To make the matters worse, while it should be a lesson in Oil 101, some people on BITOG forget or have never learned that you can't do as long an OCI with conventional as with synthetic.

In summary the issue is far beyond CAFE. Europe has similar fuel-economy standards as the USA. The real issue is varying oil standards and different oil availability across the world -- how you make oil recommendation if (1) some countries use the stricter ACEA and (2) ILSAC oils vary greatly in quality according to viscosity grade, as 0W-xx ILSAC oils are Group III and higher but 5W-xx and thicker ILSAC oils can be Group II. Euro OEMs and GM in the USA solve this problem with OEM-specific oil approvals, but the Japanese OEMs rely on the vague and broad ILSAC, which apparently leave many people scratching their heads when they see synthetic 0W-20 in USA and conventional 5W-30 in Mexico.

Last but not least, to explain this in layman's language, the reason why only 0W-20 but not 5W-30 is recommended in the USA is that Mazda doesn't have its own OEM approval and ILSAC allows conventional oil for 5W-30. In Europe ACEA does not allow conventional oil for 5W-30. Therefore, if Mazda recommended 5W-30 conventional ILSAC oil in the USA, they would have to reduce the OCI to 6,000/3,000 miles for normal/severe service, respectively, like they have to do in Mexico. Obviously no one wants this given that, unlike in Mexico, 0W-20 is cheaply available in the USA, and Mazda recommends synthetic 0W-20 to keep the OCI reasonably long. In Europe ACEA-certified synthetic oils allow even longer OCIs than in the USA with both 0W-20 and 5W-30. In the country list given above, like in Mexico, only conventional 5W-30 is available, which results in minimally short OCIs as well.

That engine was developed from the beginning with 0w20 oil in mind. Have no worries running that no matter what the climate is.

So back to the original topic ...

Thanks for the links to the washers

Going with a wix or a mazda filter... who makes the mazda filters? Any difference in the 2? I know my old dodge ram had a rattle and oddly enough the only thing that would quiet it down was a wix filter.. maybe a better drain back valve or something? Curious on the manufacturer of the mazda filter

So back to the original topic ...

Thanks for the links to the washers

Going with a wix or a mazda filter... who makes the mazda filters? Any difference in the 2? I know my old dodge ram had a rattle and oddly enough the only thing that would quiet it down was a wix filter.. maybe a better drain back valve or something? Curious on the manufacturer of the mazda filter

They're made in Japan? If that's the case, they must be halfway decent.

As I said people's favorite oil filter on BITOG is Fram Ultra. It features a silicone anti-drain-back valve.

The Mazda filters are made by Roki. Here in the US you will find they are made in Thailand and are a good filter. There is a value line filter made in Mexico as well. Most people prefer the Thai filters.

The Japan made filters are for the Japan market only . Be leery of anyone trying to sell them online. I use the Thai filters and they are well constructed.

Those Thai oil filters are also the OEM for Toyota (90915-YZZF2 etc.). They are of good quality, but in terms of efficiency and capacity, they probably rank rock-bottom. Most brand-name aftermarket oil filters are an upgrade over them. Wix should be of better quality, and Fram Ultra should be of top quality.

Those Thai oil filters are also the OEM for Toyota (90915-YZZF2 etc.). They are of good quality, but in terms of efficiency and capacity, they probably rank rock-bottom. Most brand-name aftermarket oil filters are an upgrade over them. Wix should be of better quality, and Fram Ultra should be of top quality.

Will you eventually be switching to either the Wix or Ultra version for your new Prius?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Will you eventually be switching to either the Wix or Ultra version for your new Prius?

My 1985 Corolla had the PAO-and-AN-based M1 EP 0W-20 and a Fram Ultra XG3600 when it was wrecked by the hit-and-run driver. As a result it never had a UOA with that combination. The Prius Prime and Corolla spec the same 90915-YZZF2 oil filter. I still have a 90915-YZZF2 or two, a Denso equivalent of its, a Fram orange can, a Bosch, an XG3600, and an XG3614 that were never used. Would the XG3600 have longitudinal clearance on the Prius Prime? I don't know. I have to decide whether I will do oil changes on it. It's at 5,000 miles now and I feel like it needs an oil change, but the dealer will probably wait until 10k. I was going to take it there this week, but we're in a lockdown for at least three weeks for the outbreak.

Here in the USA only 0W-20 is recommended. And it also says "Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy."
In Europe, both 0W-20 and 5W-30 are equally recommended except for temps below -30 F where only 0W-20 is recommended.
In other parts of the world up to 10W-30 is recommended.

My wife is contemplating buying a new CX-5 or CX-30 and if so I'll be using 5W-30 full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back