16 mazda cx5 2.5... oil and filter brand and type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
jay
The aluminum washer is thin. There's very little to crush. It's the darn copper washer that left marks on my driveway.
It's either that, or the replacement / 2nd party magnetic drain plug I bought is a poor fit. I'm going to find out the culprit by-hook or crook.....lol

I looked at some fiber washers at Home Depot yesterday. When all else fails (meaning I'm not torqueing that drain plug so hard anymore).... copper - then aluminum, I'll try fiber afterwards. If that fails, I'll put the OEM plug back in. That one hasn't leaked yet.

If I run out of patience, I'll get a Fumoto or EZ-Valve and use the Autozone plug sealant on it. I will only need to seal it one time.

The washer used on Mazda and sold by Mazda is a thicker aluminum (?) friction type of washer. It's different than a crush or flexible type of washer.

These aren't really crush washers either. They are technically called something else. Somebody here at BITOG had a reply that described both kinds.

The ones I've dealt with sure aren't soft. They look like a regular washer. I think we are supposed to tighten - loosen - tighten again snugly. That's what a neighbor told me.

Never dealt with anything like this, having Chrysler and GM vehicles for 50 years. Seems like technology has gone backwards with today's metal threaded drain plug. In this day & age of HD and Digital parts, there shouldn't be a need for a washer.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
These aren't really crush washers either. They are technically called something else. Somebody here at BITOG had a reply that described both kinds.

The ones I've dealt with sure aren't soft. They look like a regular washer. I think we are supposed to tighten - loosen - tighten again snugly. That's what a neighbor told me.

Never dealt with anything like this, having Chrysler and GM vehicles for 50 years. Seems like technology has gone backwards with today's metal threaded drain plug. In this day & age of HD and Digital parts, there shouldn't be a need for a washer.

I remember the washer discussion as well and I've also forgotten the actual name that someone replied with.

The washer is fairly thick too, maybe â…› of a inch? It is softer metal so my initial guess is aluminium but I may be off there. It could be anything.

I still appreciate that it has a threaded drain plug and washer knowing that some vehicles have plastic pans and plugs now.

If your that worried about oil plug leaks/drips -- go with a Fumoto valve. Have them on all vehicles in signature and not one problem for years. Convenient and dont deal with messes or crush washer head aches.

I was telling buster that for a direct-injection engine with intake-valve-deposits (IVD) concerns, I would probably use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 (M1 EP 0W-20) if the recommended viscosity is 0W-20.

This is because M1 EP 0W-20 is very cheap at Walmart, one of the very, very few PAO-based oils left out there, has extra antioxidant, lower sulphated ash, and a higher HTHS. All except the last will help reduce the IVD and the last one (higher HTHS) is a little extra margin of safety for wear protection.

For the oil-drain-plug gasket, find something that works -- hard (elastic like hard steel) gaskets come loose; therefore, you need something that becomes inelastic (permanently deformed) when it's crushed so that it doesn't come loose.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Gokhan
I was telling buster that for a direct-injection engine with intake-valve-deposits (IVD) concerns, I would probably use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 (M1 EP 0W-20) if the recommended viscosity is 0W-20.

This is because M1 EP 0W-20 is very cheap at Walmart, one of the very, very few PAO-based oils left out there, has extra antioxidant, lower sulphated ash, and a higher HTHS. All except the last will help reduce the IVD and the last one (higher HTHS) is a little extra margin of safety for wear protection.

For the oil-drain-plug gasket, find something that works -- hard (elastic like hard steel) gaskets come loose; therefore, you need something that becomes inelastic (permanently deformed) when it's crushed so that it doesn't come loose.
wink.gif

my motul 8100 eco lite 5w30 has an hths of 3.3(m1 ep3.0)

I'll chime in here. I got a 2019 ND miata with the 2.0 skyactiv. USA+CAN manual says 0w20, Mexico and rest of world 5w30. I'm currently running M1 EP 0w20. My previous oil was 0w20 PP. I prefer the M1 EP based % of PAO. I'm considering running 5w30 with this high revving engine, but concerned about warranty.

I have used M1 20wt oils in all of my Duratech engines in the last 12 years with great results(510K total). Also I use Mc 910S Filters. The 2007 Fusion calls for the MC FL2017B cartridge.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by haggler
USA+CAN manual says 0w20, Mexico and rest of world 5w30.

No, not the rest of the world -- only Mexico -- and the consensus was that the oil availability is very limited in Mexico, even conventional Group II 5W-30 being scarce, let alone synthetic Group III 0W-20, most people still using cheap true-dino Group I 25W-50, 20W-50, and 15W-40 (non-HDEO, high-Noack 15W-40) oils in Mexico.

It actually says 0W-20 For U.S.A and Canada &

"Except U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil."

I changed my oil drain plug from the factory 8mm internal hex, to an external standard type hex.

May not be a problem. But if that internal hex rounds out, it will be a pain to remove.

Originally Posted by tundraotto

Yes, it says "Except U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico, and in Mexico only." It's a North American manual and applies only to USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico, not to the rest of the world.
wink.gif

[Linked Image from lh3.googleusercontent.com]

Yes, it says "Except U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico, and in Mexico only." It's a North American manual and applies only to USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico, not to the rest of the world.
wink.gif

Look at the second page you posted - Except U.S.A, Canada, and Puerto Rico......

etc.

My cx-5 manual says the same. It's interesting that the Mexico instructions state, " If SAE 5w-30 oil is not available, use SAE 5w-20.". No mention of 0w-20.

Last edited:
Look at the second page you posted - Except U.S.A, Canada, and Puerto Rico......

etc.

Yes, and if you look more carefully at that page, it says "(Mexico only)" and "(Mexico)" in two different places.

It is a North American manual. It is not a worldwide manual. It does not apply to any country other than USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.

etc.

Yes, and if you look more carefully at that page, it says "(Mexico only)" and "(Mexico)" in two different places.

It is a North American manual. It is not a worldwide manual. It does not apply to any country other than USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico.

YES!!!

AND UNDER MEXICO IT SAYS TO USE 5W-30 oil!!!!! If 5W-30 is not available, use 5W-20 oil!!!
NO MENTION OF 0W-20 anywhere on that page that doesnt deal with USA, Canada and Puerto Rico!

Originally Posted by spasm3
My cx-5 manual says the same. It's interesting that the Mexico instructions state, " If SAE 5w-30 oil is not available, use SAE 5w-20.". No mention of 0w-20.

That's because synthetic oil is very expensive in Mexico and people's incomes are also a lot lower. They still use very cheap Group I true-dino oils there (such as 15W-40 PCMO), which they no longer sell in the US.

Synthetic 0W-20 is not thinner than conventional 5W-20. In fact it could be thicker.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I changed my oil drain plug from the factory 8mm internal hex, to an external standard type hex.

May not be a problem. But if that internal hex rounds out, it will be a pain to remove.

Hmm, I guess Mazda doesn't want you to overtighten the oil drain plug.

[Linked Image from 1.bp.blogspot.com]

Mazda oil change

It's enough with dwelling on the obscurities regarding Mexico in the North American model.

I've found the worldwide owner's manual for the 2019+ Mazda 3 (8HC8). Yes, such a thing exists!

You can download it here.

0W-20 is recommended for the gasoline engines in every country. Some thicker SAE grades are also acceptable, as we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back