15w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading alot where some guys were using 15w40 in their cars,so I went and checked the oil out and it said that it was a diesel engine oil.Is there a another type of 15w40 you can use?Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by kenloch735:
I was reading alot where some guys were using 15w40 in their cars,so I went and checked the oil out and it said that it was a diesel engine oil.Is there a another type of 15w40 you can use?Thanks

Most 15w40 oil is HD "fleet" oil designed for use in both HD gas and diesel engines. You generally have to go to the distributor or some truck stops to find a "diesel only" HD oil.

Thanks,one more thing,do you find that many people use this oil(I've seen a few mention that they use it in their cars),and why would they use such a heavy duty oil.

quote:

Originally posted by kenloch735:
Thanks,one more thing,do you find that many people use this oil(I've seen a few mention that they use it in their cars),and why would they use such a heavy duty oil.

I can't speak for others, but the only thing I'd use a 15w40 oil in would be an older American-made V8 with a lot of miles on it, or possible an older MB or BMW engine for which such a grade was originally recommended. Consumption would tend to be lower with this oil, and HD oils tend to have robust detergent packages which will help keep an old engine nice and clean on the inside.

The reason I was asking was because I get a constant tick,something like piston slap but it does it alot when its warm,and in hotter temperatures,so I was hoping that a thicker oil would help calm it a bit.

using 15w-40 in my bmw, I get a tick when at temperature... Im hoping a synth or slightly thinner oil will keep better flow into the tappets...

JMH

I switched all of my lawn & garden equipment over to a 15W40 oil ... either Chevron Delo400 or (increasingly) Schaeffer Supreme 7000 synthetic blend. Pennzoil Long Life is another good one.

I'm not worried about the couple percent in increased fuel consumption which comes with a heavier oil. I like the extra protection a slightly heavy base stock provides ... especially in the air cooled motors.

And lastly, I like the additive package in the fleet/diesel type oils. Great for preventing corrosion in engines which sit for long periods at a time.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I can't speak for others, but the only thing I'd use a 15w40 oil in would be an older American-made V8 with a lot of miles on it, or possible an older MB or BMW engine for which such a grade was originally recommended. Consumption would tend to be lower with this oil, and HD oils tend to have robust detergent packages which will help keep an old engine nice and clean on the inside.
Those are exactly the reasons I use it (Delo 400). 15W-40 is the recommended grade for my '92 BMW. It is also specified for the '86 Dodge 318 van. Older and/or high mileage American V-8's in the family fleet also include '57 Chevy 283, '72 Buick 350 and '94 Ford 5.0 F-150. The more robust additive package also includes more ZDDP and a higher TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back