15w40 in lt155

Has anyone run 15w40 in there JD LT155 with hydraulic lifters? JD recommends 10w30 but I’m not sure if it’s because of the lifters or just because that’s what they make

I don't see any reason why you couldn't run 15W40. The chart I found on that model has recommendations based on ambient air temps.

Here are a couple I found using a generic search. The left is from TractorData and the right is from a manual.

oilchart1Capture.JPG
oilchart2Capture.JPG

What would lifters have to do with the oil viscosity? 5W-40 would serve from below Zero *f To over 100*f.

shouldn't be a problem. its a basic oil pump equipped ohv and it can run 40 grades anyway.

Which engine? The Kohler commands with hyd lifters don't seem to like 40 grades or above from what I've read and personally experienced. Not really sure why either? I have read that some oils will foam, causing lifter chatter.

I currently use Super Tech 10W30 FS HM in mt LT150 with a Kohler. I think next spring I will try Mystik 15W40. I just bought 12 gallons on clearance at F&F. That said the Super Tech 10W30 I have in there now has done me good. No burning and really hasn't darkened much from running this year...

Just my $0.02

I've run 15w40 HDEO in plenty of hydraulic lifter Kohler engines with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in the LT155. Those are nice mowers, which deck does it have? I just worked on one with the Freedom 42 mulching deck that has the timed counter-rotating blades.

I've run 15w40 HDEO in plenty of hydraulic lifter Kohler engines with no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to run it in the LT155. Those are nice mowers, which deck does it have? I just worked on one with the Freedom 42 mulching deck that has the timed counter-rotating blades.
Just the 38” deck. I think the fuel pump quit on it. The carb is clean has fuel and spark. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and cranked it and no fuel

Just the 38” deck. I think the fuel pump quit on it. The carb is clean has fuel and spark. Pulled the fuel line off the carb and cranked it and no fuel
Yep, likely a bad fuel pump. Crack the fuel filler cap loose to see if that helps, sometimes the vent in the cap gets plugged and it won't allow for fuel to flow through the line.

15w40 is an excellent choice! 10w30, 10w40, etc are all good. Main thing is to check the oil level before you use the mower for the day.

Back