15w40 dual rated oil instead of 5w30 Gasoline Engine oil.

I'm in FLA, no such thing as a cold start here.. and I have a considerable supply of 15W40 on hand, which carries the SN cert as well as the CK rating... so is there any real point in purchasing and using the recommended 5w30 or does it make sense to use the 15w40 since I have plenty of it and it make the oil change free.. I dont think it makes any difference but it would be interesting to read some of the commentary and doom and gloom.

Depends on the vehicle/engine. It'll be fine in most vehicles that spec a 5W30.
New York City has had higher record temps by several degrees than Miami and Tampa.

May I ask a stupid question? Is a "diesel" oil that has the API service rating SN good for gasoline engines that call for API up to SN rating?

If I may another stupid question - what's the difference with "diesel oil" then?

New York City has had higher record temps by several degrees than Miami and Tampa.

yep... NYC can actually be hotter than Tampa or Miami,,, but yall dont string 100+ days of 90 together ever. :)

May I ask a stupid question? Is a "diesel" oil that has the API service rating SN good for gasoline engines that call for API up to SN rating?

If I may another stupid question - what's the difference with "diesel oil" then?
Delo have several CK-4/SN Plus offerings.

Your question;

Diesel oils have a picture of a truck on the label.
PCMOs a car
Motorcycle oils a motorcycle, and marine oil a boat.
Prices may vary depending on the size of the container and cost of the truck, car, boat or motorcycle depicted on the label.
For example, an engine oil intended for use in a Harley, BMW or Ducati would be priced higher than the same product destined for a scooter.

The main difference is the diesel oils have more detergents and a greater ability to hold soot in suspension.
They also have higher zinc and phosphorus levels.

Diesel oils don’t have the same ZDDP limits as PCEOs, and usually has higher TBN as well. Lake Speed Jr wrote something about diesel oils having different anti-foaming agents that “may” cause issues in gas engines because of RPM, but I don’t know if that’s true- I’ve never personally seen any data to substantiate his claim, but I’m also not an oil formulator.

@High Performance Lubricants, @Foxtrot08, or @MolaKule: is there any truth that HDEO anti-foaming agents can cause issues because of the higher RPM range in auto applications?

If the engine says DEXOS 1 GEN2 then no I would NOT CONSIDER 15w40 at all

If the engine says DEXOS 1 GEN2 then no I would NOT CONSIDER 15w40 at all
My Nissans Spec API service SM 5w-30, with no other requirements. I have wanted to try a 40 weight oil in them, so was wondering if this might be good fit - it never gets more than a few degrees below freezing. I don't want low saps, although there are plenty of 10w-40 oils out there also that would also fit the bill likely.

My Nissans Spec API service SM 5w-30, with no other requirements. I have wanted to try a 40 weight oil in them, so was wondering if this might be good fit - it never gets more than a few degrees below freezing. I don't want low saps, although there are plenty of 10w-40 oils out there also that would also fit the bill likely.
Any oil with a 10W winter rating is acceptable down to about 0F.

Interesting, so all your car requires is SM spec. So, I do NOT think it needs a dual rated oil. Use whatever you want; I sure as heavens will not use 15w40 cause my car doesn’t call for dual rated

Something called “warranty”. I’d be fired if I did something this dumb at work. I shouldn’t have to spell this out either

Plus it gets cold where I live; not everyone lives in a warm climate most of the year.
No one has said anything about "warranty" and we have no idea where you live because you put "in the shop" for your location, so how are we supposed to know you live in a cold environment? The OP lives in Florida, which is who we're discussing oil needs for.

Back