15w-50 synthetic in H-D Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts about using a 15w-50 synthetic oil in a 2009 6 speed transmission? Kinda like a jungle with scattered info. Some say GL-5 rated oils (75w-90/140)are not neccessary and maybe too much. Amsoil is the only company I see that rates their 20w-50 m/c oil as GL-1. Mobile says the 20w-50 m/c M1 syn is better than their 75w-90 gear lube, as does Amsoil. Lastly, the viscosity chart would show a 15w-50 oil actually closer in spec to a 75w-90 gear oil than a 20w-50 oil. Reason is I can get a qt of M1 15w-50 for $5 from a buddy. Heck, I'm sure it would be just fine but just throwing out for opinions...

Last edited:
Not sure if the JASO rating is going to be relevant as the oil is not going into the motor or the primary (clutch). I live in AZ where ambient air temps run up to 120 and even higher when running across the asphalt therefore I am running Redline Shockproof Heavy which is probably overkill. I would stick with gear oil myself as it appears more suitable for such an application than motor oil. Just my two cents worth. Have a good weekend.

Shoot, I thought that was "heavy duty truck trans. I'm sorry, you are out of my area on motor cycles.
Getting old is starting to get old lol
Dusty

svt_200px.jpg

Originally Posted By: troop

Strange thing, even Amsoil recommends their 20w-50 MCV motorcycle oil over their gear oil for use in the transmission. Why's that?

Never question the Amsoil Gods!!
27.gif

It looks like Mobil says its OK for the primary, but doesn't say to use it in a transmission. But then again there are metric bikes where someone is using it in a shares sump configuration.,,

The first 19k on my sv650 were on 15w-50. I'm at 22k now (switched to schaeffers 9000 5w-50), still on the original clutch with no slipping.

True.. And most liquid cooled metric cruisers use 10w-40 oil in shared motor/transmission use. But they recommend 4-7k oil changes where as H-D says 20k on transmission. I'll use the 15w-50 syn in my motor and use some Amsoil 20w-50 in the tranny now that I have one quart of each on hand. Thanks ....

Last edited:
Many folks are complaining about gear whine in the newer 6 speeds. Running a heavier lube quiets it down.

AMSOIL recommends the 75w110 for the trans as an alternate. Likewise the 75w140 also works good. I used to use the 75w140 in the trans of my 99 BMW Twin because the shifting was so clunky. It did help a lot.

You have to consider more than just viscosity comparisons between a gear oil and a motor oil. IMHO , drain that M1 and either use shockproof or golden spectro 6-speed oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back