15W-50 Mobil 1 Advise needed......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been helping a dirt poor single mother with a few problems and talked to her about her 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8.
This Jeep has 219,000+ miles on it and she tells me she spends over $50.00 per month on oil. She has not had an oil change in over a year. I thought that I'd change her oil for her and went by Advance auto for their new oil/filter deal of the month. I thought that the Bosch Distance Plus oil filter would be a good choice being she may not change it for, ???
I really wanted to buy the 10W40 HM Mobil 1, but the H.M. was not in the deal of the month. I was afraid to get the 0W-40 because I thought that it may leak out the gaskets and seals pretty bad. So being this is the first of September, I figured the temps. would not be too cold for the 15W-50 oil here in Virginia. It most likely will be used by October anyway. I know that it maybe a waste of money to begin with, but I wanted to get a good oil filter that would hold out till her next oil change. So the oil is only about one doller more per quart and may last longer??
I could mix it with some 5W-30 I got on my last deal of the month...
Thanks for your input

If you are going to use M1 then go to WM and buy the M1 10-40 HM in the 5 qt. jug for $26.

Its probably more than you want to take on, but the biggest help for that engine would be to pull the intake manifold and fix the lower plenum gasket. If she's going through oil that fast, her 5.2 almost certainly has the lower intake leak that was common on early "Magnum" 5.2 and 5.9 engines (sucks oil from the lifter valley straight into the intake). It probably pings and rattles like crazy, too, since that's the most common indicator. The leak makes it run lean and the inhaled oil aggravates pre-ignition. Its kind of amazing that the 5.2 can tolerate the abuse this leak puts on the pistons, rings, and bottom end, but it usually does.

There's even a "how to" video for this fix on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWFbU7ivVo

And that video points out the Hughes Engines repair kit that permanently fixes the problem. The really sad thing is that her engine could have benefitted SO much had this fix been done 100,000 miles ago instead of now, but that's neither here nor there.

Whether or not that fix is performed, I agree that A good 10w40 HM oil is the best pick (MaxLife or M1 would be my choice). If I'm right, oil viscosity isn't going to change consumption at all and 15w50 is just overkill for a Mopar 318. Even if I'm wrong, sometimes thicker oil can aggravate consumption past the rings. If the gasket doesn't get fixed, getting the best oil for the lowest $$ becomes paramount. We did that for a 92 Dakota farm truck- just left it alone and fed it MaxLife 10w40. Its still chugging (and pinging) along 10 years after the problem showed up... but then it only gets driven a couple thousand miles per year most years, after having racked up ~25,000 miles per year for the first 8 years of its life.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its probably more than you want to take on, but the biggest help for that engine would be to pull the intake manifold and fix the lower plenum gasket. If she's going through oil that fast, her 5.2 almost certainly has the lower intake leak that was common on early "Magnum" 5.2 and 5.9 engines (sucks oil from the lifter valley straight into the intake). It probably pings and rattles like crazy, too, since that's the most common indicator. The leak makes it run lean and the inhaled oil aggravates pre-ignition. Its kind of amazing that the 5.2 can tolerate the abuse this leak puts on the pistons, rings, and bottom end, but it usually does.

There's even a "how to" video for this fix on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLWFbU7ivVo

And that video points out the Hughes Engines repair kit that permanently fixes the problem. The really sad thing is that her engine could have benefitted SO much had this fix been done 100,000 miles ago instead of now, but that's neither here nor there.

Whether or not that fix is performed, I agree that A good 10w40 HM oil is the best pick (MaxLife or M1 would be my choice). If I'm right, oil viscosity isn't going to change consumption at all and 15w50 is just overkill for a Mopar 318. Even if I'm wrong, sometimes thicker oil can aggravate consumption past the rings. If the gasket doesn't get fixed, getting the best oil for the lowest $$ becomes paramount. We did that for a 92 Dakota farm truck- just left it alone and fed it MaxLife 10w40. Its still chugging (and pinging) along 10 years after the problem showed up... but then it only gets driven a couple thousand miles per year most years, after having racked up ~25,000 miles per year for the first 8 years of its life.

I guess I should take the oil back and trade it for something else. The H.M. oil is not part of the deal of the month. Maybe I should just pick out an oil for myself and get her the cheapest stuff I can find at W.M.
I did not know that about the 5.2, I have a 1993 Grand Cherokee with 5.2 and it will ping if I do not run 93 octane gas. It don't use very much oil, but I do have to add now and then. It's only got 104K on the ticker. I may have to investigate this issue further.

Well, I was able to trade my 15W-50 oil for the 10W-40 H.M.
I guess it all depends on who is working there at the time......
This was my original intention, but was told; NO.
Thanks for confirming my choice.
This lady bought the Jeep with 194K on it to start with. I have not driven or rode in it to confirm the "pinging".

I ran my 1995 Dakota V8/5spd. on M1 15W-50 M1 for about 135,000miles. Pulling a 4000lb load across Texas seemed to agree with that thick ole syrup!

I would use a thinner oil today guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back