15w-40/K&N Filter For My Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this question in my 1st post, but figured I'd repost it as it's own question to get a little more viewing.

For a late model Chevy pickup with the 350 minus two cylinders (also known as the 4.3L V-6), would a 15w-40 be a good choice? Engine goes through even 10w-30 high mileage stuff, and looking at the specs at manufacturers websites, it looks like Delo and Delvac have OUTSTANDING cold-flow properties! If it helps any, engine gets worked hard, sees a mix of city and highway driving, and has close to 90,000 on the odometer.

I've been a Purolator user for years, but according to guys on this site, the K&N oil filter ($12.99 at Auto Zone) is far superior and thus the way to go.

Plan on using either Delo and Delvac because of their superior cold-flow properties when compared to Rotella.

I used to have a 1990 chevy with the 4.3 engine. I always used 5w30 dino oil and never had any consumption issues, even at 130000 miles when I traded it for my 98 GMC. Have you thought about an autorx treatment......or maybe some LC? I think that your consumption is caused by some sort of damage or bad seals......or carbon or sludge buildup between the rings.

offtopic.gif
I was born in Pikeville KY. I enjoy going back and running my vehicles though the mountain twisties....LOL

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
I used to have a 1990 chevy with the 4.3 engine. I always used 5w30 dino oil and never had any consumption issues, even at 130000 miles when I traded it for my 98 GMC. Have you thought about an autorx treatment......or maybe some LC? I think that your consumption is caused by some sort of damage or bad seals......or carbon or sludge buildup between the rings.

offtopic.gif
I was born in Pikeville KY. I enjoy going back and running my vehicles though the mountain twisties....LOL

Well, I guess you were one of the lucky few. I do have consumption issues, and I believe I have bad valve seals, as witnessed by the small puff of smoke of startup.

I'd say I don't have any big time buildup, as I've ran Rotella-T in it (in the summer months) before.

...Figured I'd get input from you guys here though before I go on and fill her up with Delo or Delvac.

P.S. - I'm from the Danville area, where there's still plenty of twisties!

Bad valve seals and guides were notorious problems on early 90's vortec v-6's. I don't know if you have one of the afflicted engines. I had a TBI v-6 in my 90.

Jelly, I think a HD 15W-40 oil is a great choice for an older high mileage 4.3L Chevrolet V6. I would expect longer oil life and better wear protection than you will get from most conventional passenger car motor oils. What I like most about this grade is that the API rated CI-4 and CH-4 motor oils are so good at keeping engines clean and only cost a few cents more than the cheap stuff.

welcome.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back