15W-40 for cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.
You bet it will clean a motor!I used a HD oil in two different cars last summer,it really did the trick. Most of the HD makers have the same add package in a 10/30 wt as well but the 1300S will pump like a 10/40 ----barely
wink.gif
One car was my Mothers 4.6 Murcury,ya know the one near everyone says wil die a quick death if a 5/30 is not used
tongue.gif
Well it went I think 4200 miles with Phillips 15/40 on a trip to California and around last summer,,I did this knowing it would never see below 80 degree ambients even on starts,,I really regret not running a analysis on that one. It is a 98 model with 30k miles,it seldom leaves town so seldom could a good analysis be seen in that car,,it sure knows it's way to Walmart,,kinda like a horse,it wants to turn into the parking lot as soon as it is near
smile.gif
But I got lucky,she ran it to Tennessee and Texas so I pulled the 10/30 oil that was in it while I could a week ago and sent it to the lab . It's back on the 5/30 PCMO now till summer

Your milaege will suffer from using this oil,,I don't quite understand why I can get better milaege with a PCMO 20-50 than the 1300S unless the 1300 is so overbased it does not lube as well in a gas motor. Have asked several times,never got a answer.

I've got an older 4 cylinder (158,000 miles) mitsubishi mirage, the manual says that 20W-50 can be used during warmer temps (nothing about 15W-40), could I use 15W-40 delvac to clean it up?, I know that 15W40 oils have more detergents and I was thinking of using the delvac, then switching back to a 10w30. Any opinons? thanks.

Wow, your manual says you can use a 50wt. oil? I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I see no problem using Delvac at all and think it is a good choice. Also, check out AutoRx. Delvac is a 40wt. so you could use it.

Presently running Mobil Devlac 1300 15-40 dino in my truck. Switched from Motorcraft 15-40 after using this oil for the last 173,000 miles. From new to 100,000 miles only used Motorcraft 10-30. Yes I have 273,000 miles on this truck now. 1996 Ford F-150 with a 302-V8. Last week I had it in the dealership for a leaking valve cover gasket and state inspection. This is the first time the motor ever had to be touched since new. I run a mininum of 1000 miles extreme driving miles a week. Changed oil once a month 4000 to 6000 miles on oil by change time. Went to 15-40 after 100,000 miles was reached for more protection. The mechanic could not believe how clean this motor was with these miles. He asked me what oil I run and told him. He thinks this motor could easily see 300,000 plus miles. So yes MUSTANG GT I think running 15W-40 would be fine for CLEANING your motor. I always ran Motorcraft FL-1A filters also.

A high detergent oil like Delvac or Delo will do some cleaning, but don't expect miracles. Here where there is a lot of SC, SD, SE, and SF oil sold, I can clean off a lot of the visible sludge with Delo or my Group I high detergent 15w40. Works particularly well on engines that were never driven enough to heat up, so the sludge is not burned on. On one pickup that was full or it, I put in a 10w30 with 3300ppm of calcium, and told the customer to return when his oil had thickened like a 4owt. 500 km later he returned and it was thick. We went through 6 changes like this before getting him to 4000 km. between changes and then put in 15w40. Still waiting on his next visit.
For burned on stuff, I'm convinced that Auto-RX is the way to go, just trying to get some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back