15w-40 at 70,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen a lot of stuff about upping the viscosity in an engine with higher milege. I'd think it would be even more applicable with previously lackluster oil changes. I just bought a 94 Corolla with 70,000 on the odometer. Would a 15w-40 be a better choice for the summer months? Where I live, it regularly gets to over 90 F, and I travel to areas where ot goes over 100F practically every day in the summer (Pueblo Colorado). My manual recomend 10w-30 year round, but doesn't specifically advice against using a heavier weight oil. So would the milege on my vehicle warrent a 15w-40 for summer use? I don't wanna run 10w-40 for shearing reasons. Thanks

I'd suggest trying a 10w30 high mileage oil. These are formulated on the high end of the 30wt scale, so are almost 40wts, but they won't thin out as easily either.

Pennzoil or GTX HM would be good choices.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I've seen a lot of stuff about upping the viscosity in an engine with higher milege. I'd think it would be even more applicable with previously lackluster oil changes. I just bought a 94 Corolla with 70,000 on the odometer. Would a 15w-40 be a better choice for the summer months? Where I live, it regularly gets to over 90 F, and I travel to areas where ot goes over 100F practically every day in the summer (Pueblo Colorado). My manual recomend 10w-30 year round, but doesn't specifically advice against using a heavier weight oil. So would the milege on my vehicle warrent a 15w-40 for summer use? I don't wanna run 10w-40 for shearing reasons. Thanks

Unless your a synthetic nut (and unless your running long oil change intervals..I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY TO USE SYNTHETICS!!).

Sorry for the rant...pick up some Rotella T, Delo 400, or Delvac 1300 Super in the standard 15w-40 grade. $6 a gallon at the store.

Should clean out a good deal of the past mess in your engine, as well as provide you will a good deal of increased protection.

Heck...I know Delo 400 pours at -30, so run it year round if you want!

I agree with Patman. No need for the heavyweight. Seems like the car was used for short-trip driving (???). Just a thought, but you might want to clean out the gunk that POSSIBLY could have been built up with that kind of driving.

offtopic.gif
Order cheaper OEM parts from here. Way better than going to the local dealer. Toyota Parts

[ March 11, 2003, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: Toy4x4 ]

Regarding delo 15/40 in cold weather. Last January "02" I use a power steering hydraulic pump motor to prelube my boat engine before using it, the cold oil smoked the drill that I used to turn the pump motor . I changed the oil to a 10/30 and the drill did not smoke this is not scientific but I was surprized at the thickness of the 15/40 oil the temperature was 29F during the day at about noon in my barn. 29F is way cold to me . Ithink 15/40 is ok to 5f .

quote:

Unless your a synthetic nut (and unless your running long oil change intervals..I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY TO USE SYNTHETICS!!).

Sorry for the rant...pick up some Rotella T, Delo 400, or Delvac 1300 Super in the standard 15w-40 grade. $6 a gallon at the store.

Should clean out a good deal of the past mess in your engine, as well as provide you will a good deal of increased protection.

Heck...I know Delo 400 pours at -30, so run it year round if you want!
Not picking an argument
1. You really don't need to be a synthetic "nut" to use syn. I really use it bc I think it protects a little better at temperature extremes. and I can go extended oil change. That's most importantto me. Also in my case - my daughter lives 400 miles away and I see her about 3 times a year I feel the odds of her having oil consumption and oil related problems are probably a little less with the Syn. Syn definitely has a place under some conditions.
2. Not really sure that the Delo will clean any better than anything else.
3. As was mentioned you should be careful with a 15W dino oil at zero temps.
smile.gif

Delo400 might pour at -30, but it would be like butterscotch ice cream topping. It will not lubricate an engine at -30...at that temperature you need a synthetic 0W- or 5W- (I know, lots of folks in Minnestota, Montana, and Alberta get to work in those temperatures with 5W- dino oil, but they've gotta have more engine wear than they'd have with a syn).

Ken

[ March 11, 2003, 12:18 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back