15k mile oil change intervals on BMW's are not enough - see pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
[This was post on another car form that I visit]

"Here is an example of why it is a good idea to change oil between services instead of only at the 15,000 miles or more the service indicator lets you go.
This car used factory recommended service intervals."

-

-

"This one is a 97 E39 540 that was posted on the private BMW tech forum that I am on. It is a California car."
"This car was using the BMW 5-30 synthetic oil."

Any comments ?

[ December 01, 2004, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: 99 GASE2 ]

Any details on how, where and the climate the car was used in? How about mechanical faults like plugged PCV, leaky fuel injector, bad plugs, chipped, etc?

I wonder if this car is in Europe? I know there was a thread in here talking about counterfeit oils that were sold in Europe that were supposedly premium synthetic (there was a picture too and it was a sludge monster). This car could have PCV problems or maybe this synthetic Castrol was just plain old dino.
dunno.gif

I disagree with the 15k blanket statement...other than to agree that you should NOT be doing 15k with the BMW 5w30. I know because the BMW 5-30 synth. almost ruined my engine. Don't even think they have this oil is Europe.

Most European cars in Europe use a 5-40 Synthetic. Currently the OEM BMW oil in Europe is a 0-40 (possibly the Castro R 0-40). I doubt the engine would look like this with 15k OCI's...BMW N. America...a different story though...

What the heck is with that kind of change interval? Too much can happen that is application specific during that period.

Like th eoriginating forum said "just enough to get through the warrenty period"

I don't think OCI at a sensationally short time are warrrented but I'd need to see some serious data before I ever adheared to the proposed schedule. I mean technology is great when it works but when it challenges MY realm I need to see the data.

It's hard to believe that the 15,000 mile change intervals were the only problem.
Could be a bad PCV system, or a coolant leak problem.
But who knows?

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Auto-Rx (standard statement)

Which synthetic oil? 15K would not have done that to M1, GC, RP, Schaeffer's, Redline, Amsoil....

I have seen two BMW V-8's being torn down side by side at Ring Racing in Nürburg, German. One had about 260,000 km. on it and had been run on Mobil One yet had gone exceedingly long change intervals. The other had been used appropriately.

The abused engine had lots and lots of varnish but did not show any of this sludge.

I wonder what Auto-RX would have done to this car? Surely loosening all of that sludge all at once could have actually been harmfull? It certainly wasn't all going to end up in the filter...

Stephen

quote:

Originally posted by FixedWing:
I wonder what Auto-RX would have done to this car? Surely loosening all of that sludge all at once could have actually been harmfull? It certainly wasn't all going to end up in the filter...

Stephen

This one needs about 10 or 15 Auto Rx treatment/rinse cycles.

If someone will host my pictures I have a couple of pics of my 6 year old 323i getting its annual oil change yesterday. I have a pic of the filter housing before and after wiping it out and a few pics of the filter itself. I've tried to post pictures but this is just one of those things that eludes me.

My car has had a diet of mainly Amsoil 10W-40. This last drain interval was with Schaeffer's 10W-30. I went back with Amsoil 10W-40.

I can honestly say that I don't believe the pictures up above were from 15,000 mile/one year drain intervals on a mechanically sound engine using synthetic oil.

[ December 02, 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

Those pics dont spell any good news for me. My moms E39 530i does 15k mile OCIs. Looks like I'll definitely be doing mid OCI changes. Although I think that the sludge pictured is wayyy overboard. Like it went 40k miles without an oil change. Even a quality dino every 15k wouldnt do that I would have thought!

What exactly are these pans? The top photo looks more like a tranny pan, flat and broad. The bottom photo looks kind of sort of like a valve cover for a DOHC, but I don't see the bolt holes. Or is is the top of the head with the valve train components removed? If this is real, it's a wonder the engine did not come grinding to a halt.

The first picture is of the oil pan. It's just a flat aluminum cover. If you look closely you can see the drain plug. That thingy on the right is the oil life monitor sensor that has been removed.

The second picture is a valve cover. Bolts holes are visible on the right and left sides... covered in muck.

Given the cost of the car vs the cost of more frequent oil changes, it seems like a poor trade-off. Also with the VANOS cam phasers and other complex mechanicals/hydraulics, I would think you'd want to keep these jewels nice and clean inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back