155k miles on 1 Toyota filter...video

Status
Not open for further replies.
He says in the video that Toyota recommends the air filter be changed every second oil change or 10,000 miles. I find that hard to believe.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
He says in the video that Toyota recommends the air filter be changed every second oil change or 10,000 miles. I find that hard to believe.

From what I've been able to find online, it says to "remove and inspect" every 7.5k miles. I guess he's interpreting that to mean remove and replace.

Clearly this is something you could do, but I question why you would even want to? It's simple, cheap, and recommended to do. Why not just do it?

The more the filter is taken out the more dirt goes in. In a lot of things, fiddlers do more harm than good.

What is interesting is that on here, we are constantly told to leave well enough alone and do not touch the air filter. Although it is true that there is more wear happening than if he were to just change it out, in the real world, it seems the car is running just fine. We tend to have a lot more OCD than the general automotive consumer.

Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE
Although it is true that there is more wear happening than if he were to just change it out.

Is it? The consensus is that the air filter becomes more effective at catching dirt with continued use.
That new filter lets more dirt through initially, which generally causes more wear.
I used a restriction gauge on my previous Toyota Matrix and it went 43K miles before the restriction reached about half the recommended limit.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith
Originally Posted by 2012AccentSE
Although it is true that there is more wear happening than if he were to just change it out.

Is it? The consensus is that the air filter becomes more effective at catching dirt with continued use.
That new filter lets more dirt through initially, which generally causes more wear.
I used a restriction gauge on my previous Toyota Matrix and it went 43K miles before the restriction reached about half the recommended limit.

Sorry, I meant that a new filter would be better than blowing out the old. Minced my words lol

Remove old air filter. Clean out housing and install new Denso air filter. Replace cap being sure hold-downs are in place. Tighten cap bolts and inspect for vacuum hoses that might have come off. Do same procedure in three years. No big deal.

Put me in Yah-Tah-Hey's camp every 30K.

Oddly, I bought a car which had a new air filter installed shortly before. Clearly someone at the dealership took it on a 240 mile vacation after the original owner traded it in.

I removed the filter as part of accessing the headlight assembly and pounds of sand fell out of it.

That one got changed "early" even though the media wasn't darkened with the characteristic fine dirt we're all familiar with.

Knocking out pounds of sand didn't instill confidence.

Air filters in newer cars are good for 50-60k generally. My last filter went 55k and the inside of the air box had no dirt or dust.

how does removing a filter and just blowing it out and putting it back on cause more problems/damage?

Originally Posted by DirtyOilGuy
how does removing a filter and just blowing it out and putting it back on cause more problems/damage?

You can do that. For me, as long as filters last, its not worth it. Not worth getting a small tear you don't see and letting dirt in the engine. I can spring for a new filter every 20-30k miles.

It might not seal as well around the edges after it's put back, if it isn't in exactly the same position. "Blowing it out" too enthusiastically can transfer dirt from the dirty side to the clean side, or stress the media in such a way that formerly trapped particles are freed.

Gentle vacuuming to remove loose trash is probably OK, if the vacuum exhaust is downwind.

Search for some of Richard Widman's (username Widman) posts here. Sometimes, the results have been catastrophic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back