15000 ks oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question for you guys, I'm from downunder in New Zealand and have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe, now in the owners manual servicing and oil changes are set down for 15000 kilometre intervals [about 9000 miles] which is one of the reasons I changed to synthetic oil. I read everywhere how you guys change your oils at a mere 3000 miles or so. Have you any thoughts as to why this should be. My last car was a 2001 Toyota Camry 2.4 and that was the same in the manual [15000 ks]. Also when I took my Santa Fe in for the first 1000 kilometre check I asked the service manager what oil they used and he told me that we don't change oil any more when vehicle is new [1000 ks] not until 15000 ks. I rang Hyundai NZ and was told the same thing. I don't think Hyundai or Toyota in USA have set their oil change intervals as high as us.I just can't see why there should be any difference after all we are still in the same world....or are we???I will be interested at your comments....regards all...rugbykiwi.

North Americans change their oil every 3k because for the most part people here are very wasteful. They've been brainwashed into thinking that 3k intervals are absolutely necessary. Perhaps with cheap 5w30 dino oil it might be, or if you own a Toyota sludge monster, but with anything else, oil changes every 3k are a waste of time and money. Especially when using synthetics.

Patman I am starting to think the same as you, I know that in US your oil prices are about half of ours which could probably make you more inclined to change oil more regular. Who knows our 15000 ks could be a "greenie" issue and perhaps we have to portray our squeaky clean image to the rest of the world. No oil change in the first 15000 ks is what worries me a little....rugbykiwi.

That's one area that worries me also, I'd never go 15,000km on the factory fill of oil. I do like to do frequent oil changes during the first few months on a new engine. I typically change out the factory fill before the 1000km mark. Then I'll do a few 5000km oil changes before settling in on a 8000-10000km interval. Because of the cold weather here I wouldn't be able to keep up the trend of a 15,000km interval every time though, since the wintertime kills my oil much faster than this (due to fuel contamination mostly)

I agree, we are a bit wasteful but no way would I go 9,000 miles on dino oil which is what I assume they are calling for.

The first oil change on a new vehicle should be before 9k. Years ago in the US it was common practice to change the oil on a new car/truck at 500 miles, then go to the 3k intervals. The early first change was to remove the new engine assembly materials such as castings, sealant, gasket material from the engine. Now the regular routine interval should depend on the conditions you drive such as weather, stop and go or steady driving, dusty or clean highway, and so on. The manual should have 2 schedules: One normal and one severe schedule. I would follow the severe schedule at least. I have to say I would never go 9,000 miles under any conditions. For example, using dino oil, I wouldnt go beyond 5k and with a good syn oil like M1, leass than 7,500 mi.

If you do long drains with synthetics please follow your manufacturers filter changes. Besides the new filter cleaning up your dirty oil, the extra make up oil added will freshen it up. I'm doing this and it works great.

Leo

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Spahr:
The first oil change on a new vehicle should be before 9k. Years ago in the US it was common practice to change the oil on a new car/truck at 500 miles, ...

The second new car I ever bought was a 1982 Volvo 240DL. The first scheduled maintenance was at 500 miles where the dealer (free of charge) changed every fluid in the car (except coolant and power steering fluid). The oil and filter were changed, the transmission fluid was changed, the rear diff oil was changed, and the brake fluid was changed.

Rugby;
Does Hyundai tout a 10 year/160,000 KM warrantee down there? (that's the US warrantee)

If they have that long warrantee and specify 15,000 KM intervals, they must be pretty confident you'll make it to 160,001 KM's!

Also, is the 15,000 KM a "normal" schedule, with a shorter interval for "severe" conditions?

Matt

Kiwi, why don't you verify for us too that your owner's manual doesn't say to go 9k mi. (15000 km) on 5-20/5-30 oil either, right?

The reason why 3k is a "U.S" interval is as Patman has pointed out, because oil is cheap. You can buy a qt/L of name-brand oil here for about $2. So why not change it more frequently? It's not like an oil change will break the bank...

Second, our oils are cheapo quality compared to Europe, etc and public/manufacturer brainwashed us into using water-thin oils, so if you saw the condition of the oil after 3k, you may be inclined to change it too.

It's only us here on the board that know better and secondly, the newer better generation of oils that can go the extra mi...(eg. A3 rated 0-30/5-30's)

In answer to Matt 89 and DrT no we don't get the Hyundai 10 year 160000 ks warranty down here our warranty is 3 years or 100,000 ks. Yes I would change oil more regular if it were cheaper that's for sure. And yes in the manual it does have a section about "severe" driving conditions and it is suggested to change oil at 7500 ks or 6 months. In answer to DrT I can verify that the manual does not suggest use 5/20 5/30 for up to 9000 miles and it recommends that 5/20 be used between -20F and 15F only. appreciate your feedback.....rugbykiwi.

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
If you do long drains with synthetics please follow your manufacturers filter changes. I'm doing this and it works great.Leo

Do you know if it makes a difference whether you change the filter or not?? My latest test was to not change the filter, go the entire interval on the same filter. Guess what, it made no difference. IMO, in a well operating engine a filter is pretty much a useless appendage and for catastrophic failures only.

That's what my UOAs are showing.

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
If you do long drains with synthetics please follow your manufacturers filter changes. I'm doing this and it works great.Leo

Do you know if it makes a difference whether you change the filter or not?? My latest test was to not change the filter, go the entire interval on the same filter. Guess what, it made no difference. IMO, in a well operating engine a filter is pretty much a useless appendage and for catastrophic failures only.

Yeah I guess the UOA will show the oil is fine. But I still feel uncomfortable looking at oil that is getting dark. For peace of mind just had to do it. Just looked at my oil again, and it's a little darker again. Think I will change the oil and filter soon and not wait for 10000 miles. Old habits die hard, and just miss my oil changing ritual. There nothing like the feeling of having virgin oil in my engine!

Leo

quote:

Originally posted by Spector:

What are you looking at in the UOA results to determine that the filter isn't making a difference? (The lab I'm currently using is providing particle counts & sizes, so I should be able to use these numbers for gauging filter effectiveness.) Also, how long are your intervals (mileage & time)? And have you gone more than a year on the same filter?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back