$1500 price hike on some GM vehicles mandatory 3 years of OnStar

Hey now. Watch the cb radio talk lol
I mean, I'm a amateur radio guy so ...

Just looked into it, and realized onstar is a cell phone connection. Not sure why I thought it was a satellite. So yeah pretty outdated.

4g LTE in our 2022 Yukon XL so that's going to be dated in a few years. Here's hoping they make a 5g retrofit module.

It's such a small group on here that purchase new cars it doesn't affect many. And for those that do the $1,500.00 is not a big deal. Yea-there is this thing of shoving it down your throat-but it's just a way to raise the price and make more profit in this crazy time. If/when things get back to any where near normal-it will be a point of negotiation. Until then-you want a new car when supply is ultra low? You pay the price!

Just looked into it, and realized onstar is a cell phone connection. Not sure why I thought it was a satellite. So yeah pretty outdated.

4g LTE in our 2022 Yukon XL so that's going to be dated in a few years. Here's hoping they make a 5g retrofit module.
Should be thankful it's not a 3g system, they're all going bye-bye...

GM is making a $1500 option mandatory on ALL new Buick, Cadillac, and GMC vehicles,

Also mentioned is that the same situation could face Chevy customers, as the brand is reportedly still finalizing its plans for similar services.

It's only on certain models and easily avoided.
GM is making a $1500 option mandatory on ALL new Buick, Cadillac, and GMC vehicles,
Also mentioned is that the same situation could face Chevy customers, as the brand is reportedly still finalizing its plans for similar services.

Most dealers are charging well above MSRP now either directly or with $1800 paint protection and "required" service contracts, so it doesn't surprise me GM is getting in on it.
When I purchased my wife's vehicle the sales man told me it is unbelievable that most people pay the sticker prices without question.

Some parts are satellite based - My buddy locked the keys in his suburban in the desert and we called onstar

(whats that # by the way??? it isnt immediately obvious who you call if this happens )

The rep we were on the phone with said wait 30 seconds as there is a satellite pass coming - and sure enough boom in 30 seconds the lock snapped open.

Forced services are a way of trying to recover some margin and annoying.

Back in about 2003 I had a Buick customer tell me they bought their car because of onstar. He was saying he wanted the peace of mind while chasing tornadoes. Basically he was misinformed and thought that the onstar was a full satellite phone/emergency concierge system……

My OnStar is $18/month on the 2017 … And it’s still free on the 2022 …
Doubt Escalade buyers are worried because they are likely to keep it like we do …
Premium package with streaming, WiFi, etc is $50 … only want the basic myself …

Last edited:
Back