$1500 price hike on some GM vehicles mandatory 3 years of OnStar

On star and other such systems, can work just fine with out you even knowing its turned on. By saying it is mandatory and charging you then when you sign the paper work its then known that you know it is active. It all works similar to any service you pay for TV cable, phone or cell phone. Even electricity, they control it's on and off at the "office". So even if you don't pay for Onstar on your old 2003 Cadillac, that does not mean they still can't listen in, or tap into the OBD2 port and have full scan tool access.

OnStar had more wattage in the cell service - I have used it in remote/dead areas before …

I "was" considering a GMC Terrain, until I noticed the $1500 for Onstar couldnt be removed.
I got sucked into the Onstar trap years ago on an 08 HHR. We traveled frequently in an area with poor cell service and were told the phone in the car would be usable in those areas, it was not, ending any relationship I would have with Onstar
My 21 Silverado has not had the Onstar since the free trial ran out. I still get voice prompts occasionally that its connected with "limited service"
They can still access info from the truck once I pull it out of the Faraday cage.

On star could be used to command that your brakes don't work, apply full throttle, you know all that fun stuff.

Its been proven, all those telematic systems can access anything a top high end scan tool can and likely even more since it is a manufacture specific system. How else do you think they can diagnose from a distance, gosh even farm tractors, heavy equipment etc. have that capability.
Denial of this technology is because it is pretty scary stuff.

Back