150 brand-new 1997 Neons uncovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://autos.sympatico.ca/weird-automotive-news/9903/150-brand-new-1997-neons-uncovered-in-singapore

There're what car guys call "barn finds" - an old, hidden gem of a car tucked away under a cover in a barn - and then there's this. Tucked away in a warehouse in Singapore. 150 never-driven 1997 Chrysler Neons.

And they're all for sale.

Price? About $1,350 each, a real steal for a technically new car. As Motor Authority notes, judging by the dust they've probably spent their entire lives parked there, wherever "there" is, untouched for 14 years.

The swath of compact Chryslers are all right-hand drive, have a spare wheel, but don't have a stereo, according to the seller.

Add it up and the price for the lot of them is over $200,000. But wouldn't it be neat? You could drive a new-old car every week for three years if you took all 150.

Assuming, of course, the hoses haven't degraded, the plastics haven't cracked and the dust hasn't clogged any vents or things.

I wonder what would typically need replacement after 14 years of sitting... battery, tires, wiper blades, oil, coolant maybe. What else?

All sorts of stuff probably. I would even put it past wheel bearings or powertrain bearings to get dry or pitted after sitting so long.

I think we have a rear wheel bearing going out in our Acura MDX, and it only has 70k miles on it. But my folks (original owners) stored the car at various times before we bought it, sometimes for a year at a time. I blame that as much as the part itself.

Idle time can do weird things to cars.

Say what you want about them but those original neons were a fun ride in their time, for essentially no money. For $1350, Id say it would be a deal if youre a little handy.

There must be a bunch of autocross/ driving school/ racing circuits that would jump on the opportunity to get so many identical, theoretically unworn cars so cheaply.

Doesn't Singapore have restrictions on older cars? There are some countries where it gets extremely expensive to register/inspect old cars and I thought Singapore is like that.

I am thinking of making a product request to DealExtreme; I would not mind a $1350 Neon free shipped to me :)

- Vikas

Just for kicks, I plugged in the data into Edmunds TMV calculator. Even when accounting for 0 mileage, they estimate a private party selling price to be only $1,150. $1,750 for dealer retail. I realize this is a bit of an unusual scenario though.

Yeah...in my experience, a "Barn Find" is usually a desireable classic, particularly one thought to be lost to history...like a fuelie 'Vette...a Duesenberg...a custom-bodied Packard...a rare Ferrari...

Not sure a '97 Neon (or even 150 of 'em...) fits my definition of a barn find...though, technically, I suppose it should...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Yeah...in my experience, a "Barn Find" is usually a desireable classic, particularly one thought to be lost to history...like a fuelie 'Vette...a Duesenberg...a custom-bodied Packard...a rare Ferrari...

Not sure a '97 Neon (or even 150 of 'em...) fits my definition of a barn find...though, technically, I suppose it should...

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
timing belts.

$400. Even paying $3000 for upkeep to replace a bunch of stuff is still a good deal IMO. It is a new car.

The 2.0/AT combo in my mother's 97 breeze is going strong at 140k. Even has the original battery!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Doesn't Singapore have restrictions on older cars? There are some countries where it gets extremely expensive to register/inspect old cars and I thought Singapore is like that.

I am thinking of making a product request to DealExtreme; I would not mind a $1350 Neon free shipped to me :)

- Vikas

I think the mandatory retirement age for a car is 10 years regardless of condition. It is a city state with very dense population so they try their best to get rid of clunkers.

Who would not love to get a Neon stuffed in a DX yellow envelope in the mail? I wonder if they make that big of an envelope :)

- Vikas

P.S. I get steady stream of DX / Meritline envelopes every week or so.

Sweet! One of the best handling wrong wheel drive cars out there.

Would need a lot of soft rubber parts, but a lot would depend on the climate. Anyone know the specifics of temp, humidity, and such?

A 'new' 97 Neon. That's a rare find.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Anyone know the specifics of temp, humidity, and such?

Singapore's climate is hot and humid (70-80%). I doubt this warehouse was air-conditioned if it has been forgotten.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Say what you want about them but those original neons were a fun ride in their time, for essentially no money. For $1350, Id say it would be a deal if youre a little handy.

Agreed. Our old 95 was a blast to drive...

I'll take two, please.
smile.gif

I had a '95 that I got in July of 1994 when I was in HS, drove it to college and every job I had up until my current one. Racked up 185k miles on it and it never let me down. I sold it for $800 and wish I would have held on to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back