'15 Ram 1500 - ZF 8 Speed Factory Fill - 70k mi

Changed my trans fluid at 70k recently. I don't see many UOAs of the ZF fluid, so here is one! The truck is used mostly for daily driving purposes in city traffic. I have towed and hauled at near capacity a few times in my time with the truck (bought at 38k miles), so it has been put to work.

ZF Lifeguard 8 was used as the new fluid along with a Doorman trans pan. I'll probably do another drain and fill soon to dilute the older remaining fluid from the recent service.

1618318943927.jpg

ZF recommends a 100km interval, so mine is a bit over that (approx 112km). It depends on how your truck/trans was used. Mine is used mostly for commuting with the occasional haul and tow. I would shorten the interval if the trans saw more severe use.

Really nice!

As I've read, if you ask ZF, they'll tell you 60K miles is the ideal first drain/fill and pan change on the ZF8s.

If you ask a Ram dealer, they'll tell you it's a lifetime fluid and don't touch it. LOL.

Lots of u-toob videos and write-ups in regards to folks using "suitable for use" (maxlife being the main one) ATFs with no issues at all and lots of aftermarket pan kits for $30 or so.

Really nice!

As I've read, if you ask ZF, they'll tell you 60K miles is the ideal first drain/fill and pan change on the ZF8s.

If you ask a Ram dealer, they'll tell you it's a lifetime fluid and don't touch it. LOL.

Lots of u-toob videos and write-ups in regards to folks using "suitable for use" (maxlife being the main one) ATFs with no issues at all and lots of aftermarket pan kits for $30 or so.
I spoke to a ZF tech at a BMW club event and he also said 60k miles was the appropriate change interval. My service advisor at BMW told me that 70k is an adequate change interval for cars that are driven hard(such as my 2er). It turned out to be a moot point for me as the pan gasket started to seep at 60k miles.

Back